Spanish Barbel

D

Danneh

Anyone know if theres any articles been written on Spanish Barbel ? I've been looking for ages but i can only find find pics so far, no venues or info.

Tight lines guys n girls,
regards,
Dan.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've been told that the Ebro has a large head of barbel but I don't know what stretches are the best as I've never fished that river.
One river I have fished a number of times is the Rio Ter at Girona and caught a lot of barbel up to 8lb. Not big fish but real scrappers. There is also a huge head of carp that are long, lean and very powerful and go up to double figures plus some very large rudd.
During the summer the river can be very low and any runs over 2ft deep will usually be solid with fish and 200lb of carp and barbel in a day is always on the cards.
The best stretch is for about 100 yards above and for 250 yards below the park road bridge.
Best baits are bread and sweetcorn the latter of which is expensive in Spain so my advice is buy it here in the U.K. before you go.
With many U.K. anglers now visiting their country I would suggest you contact the Spanish Tourist Board who I'm sure will be able to point you towards some local sources of information.

M

Martin Womble

I have been fishing the lower Ebro for the last five years, and i dont know of any barbel being landed.Aparently the water is not to their liking,however i have seen chub to five or six pounds near Amposter thats if the asylum seekers havent eaten them,It may sound like a joke but over the last few years the amount of mullet,carp and now cat fish being taken is starting to afect the rivers balence,you could look upriver above mequensa.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Danneh,

I went to Spain in search of the great Spanish Barbel! I had a good trip, great fun. I didn't catch as many as I thought I should but I guess fishing can be a bit like that lol.

You might want to talk to our guide, Pete Staggs, He's English but lives in spain. He could set up the whole thing for you if you wanted.

I did a quick search and found this article. It has an e.mail for Pete. I liked the guy, he sorted the bar-b-q while we fished.... What else could you want?

http://www.fishingwarehouse.co.uk/section/articles/articleinfo.asp?articleid=1093

D

Danneh

Cheers for the replys u lot ! I live in Tortosa just up the road from Amposta on the Ebro and yeh its very true about the fish stocks being affected by these dirty skinned bandits ! I don't bother fishing for carp this end any more due to the numbers being so low ! The days of catching 200lb bags are a thing of the past now so i often travel upto Mequinenza or Caspe for a decent bit of fishing. I'm really after a Comizo Barbel, these lumps that grow to about 60 something lbs ... i've heard they are around the Madrid area but cant find any names of lakes etc etc.
Cheers lads, catcha latas, tight lines and all that ...
Dan.

T

The Surgeon

There are at least 6 different barbel species and they are to be found widely all over Spain and Portugal in rivers and lakes (yes - several if not all can breed in lakes- honest!)
Phil Pembroke has published 2 books on Iberian venues, methods, and species - they are inexpensive and very helpful. His e-mail is philippembroke007@hotmail.com
Peter Knight is spot-on about Peter Staggs who lives in Spain & runs guided barbel and carp trips. I've been on several and he arranges licences, bait etc and picks you up from the airport. He is a very experienced angler and I have been on many excellent trips with him.
Peter's number (ringing from UK) is
0034 952 798018

T

The Surgeon

PS Peter has caught huge Comizos and has some fabulous images to prove it.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

There were a couple of articles by John Bailey in Coarse Fishing Today last year I think.

If I still have them I will gladly copy & send to you if you let me have your address by e-mail.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Nigel,

I was in one of those J B articles!!!!!

I was one of the guys up to my waste in water trying to catch the little buggers!

Sadly in the pic I am about the size on an ant so not much fame to be had there.

It was a great week though. I went with
Bob James, John Baily, Pete Staggs and some mates. If only the fishing had been as good as the company!

D

Danneh

I ended up in Girona of all places in search of this annoyingly difficult to locate bloody fish ... found them ... couldn't catch them ... fished for trout instead in one of the most unlikely man made fully flowing canals. Ended up having a 4.5lb browny, probably one of the most beautiful fish ive ever caught, i'll post a pic soon. My email is Fishytales@hotmail.com so if anyone wants to keep intouch and send me handy info i'd be more than happy to recieve! Also if anyones thinking of doing a bit of fishing over in Spain and wants some company give me a shout.
Tight lines guys and all the best !
Dan =)