Tube Flies,Boobies

E

EDDIE BIBBY

What are Tube Flies and Boobies?Are they different than ordinary flies.I have been told they are banned on some waters.If this is the case,why are they? And do you think they should be?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This is another case of the lure vs fly argument. Tube flies and boobies are more like lures than flies. Only the material separates them from true lures. If they were made from metal they would be lures more appropriate to spinning rather than fly fishing.

C

Caroline COOPER

Tube flies ARE made of metal, mainly!
They have a copper, steel or alloy tube for their body which is why they're called tube flies!!!!

D

denis goulding

WELL,
TUBE FLIES ARE FLIES USED BY BOTH SALMON AND TROUT ANGLERS,TUBES ARE AS CAROLINE EXPLAINED.THEY ARE USED BY STILLWATER ANGLERS BY USING THE RUDDER FISHING METHOD.THE FLY IS CAST FROM THE BOAT AND LET SWING ROUND USING A RANGE OF LINES TO FIND THE DEPTH OF THE FISH,,U RETRIEVE THE LINE WHEN IT STARTS TO TRAIL BEHIND THE BOAT,,AND START ALL OVER AGAIN..
THE BOOBY IS A FLY WITH TWO ETHAFOAM EYES WHICH MAKES THE FLY FLOAT.IT IS USUALLY FISHED SINGLE ON A FAST SINKING LINE ON A SHORT LEADER FROM EITHER BANK OR ANCHORED/DRIFTING BOAT..GREAT DURING THE WINTER WHEN FISH HUG THE BOTTOM OR ON A REAL SUNNY DAY WHEN MOST OF THE FISH HAVE RETREATED TO THE DEPTHS ..IF U WANT FURTHER INFO PLEASE SEND ME A MAIL..

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The reason why boobies are banned on some waters is that the trout tend to swallow them.

This, ban of course is mainly confined to catch and release waters.

Boobies where named thus because the two etherfoam balls look like a characateur of Jordan.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Bloody Hell Ron you took your time answering --- I asked that question 4 years ago