Smooth Pole

B

Big Steve

I have just cleaned my pole in readiness for the this years fishing. Whilst it is clean it isn't very smooth through the hands. Can a use some sort of polish on it so that it slips through the hands easier?

W

Wolfman Woody

Armour All for car interiors or Son of a Gun. Does all rods and monofilament line as well. Line casts brilliantly after coating with that.

If that don't work, KY jelly. :eek:)

B

Big Steve

Cheers - and I was trying to keep the thread clean. I knew it was too much to ask :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

I think Maver market a Pole Cleaner and maybe Preston as well.

I only ever wipe down with a damp cloth after use and then dry thoroughly before packing away.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Most poles slip through the hands quite easily when they are dry, its when they are wet that the problems start. Just make sure that what you put on the pole doesn't make the problem worse when it gets wet by becoming sticky. Silicone repels a lot of the water but can become sticky in a continuous downpour.

Try sliding the pole back over an open hand and only gripping when you slide the back hand forward, hard to describe but you can imagine what I mean (I think).

Ergo

Reaction score
I spray mine with Pledge polish and then run like hell to get most of it off. I only do it maybe three times a season.

You could of course wear a wooly fingerless mitten.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I use ArmourAll as woody said, I also use this as my elastic lube (no comments) it's excellent for these uses.

B

Big Steve

Does AmpourAll have any adverse effect on the carbon in the pole? I don't want to knacker my pole by putting something on that I shouldn't.

Cheers

R

Rodney Wrestt

Not that I'm aware of Steve, I've used it for about 5 years ant seen no down side, it's for car interiors for use on plastics and rubber.

Take a look here Armour All

R

Rodney Wrestt

"ant seen no down side" scept in me speelin'

should say "Ain't seen no downside" :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

It was suggested to me in 1998 for all rods and then later for lines. Never done my poles or rods any harm whatsoever. Use it with confidence or try a small portion first if you still don't believe me.

The beauty about it is, if you don't like it for your rods and poles, you can always clean your car's interior. For most anglers, that's the usually black-ish thing that's all around you when you sit in it. If it's anything like my mates it's got 6 or 7 years of dust and other crap all over it.

L

Laurie Harper

It might seem a bit of a paradox, but you don't want the pole too shiny. New poles always stick when you ship 'em, especially when wet, but when the surface takes a little wear, they get much easier. So don't polish too enthusiastically. Don't know why this is, but it must be for the sanye reason that sharks have rough, rather than smooth skin to aid their speed through the water.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I meant 5 years on my current pole, don't know what happened to the last it just disintigrated when I was polishing it one day :eek:)

I can't remeber exactly how long I've been using it but I used it to clean my rods before I even had a pole. I also heard about it being used as Jeff mentioned as an alternative to greased lightning for gaining a few more yards on a big cast, never tried it for that though.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Ain't seen no downside" :eek:)

That's a double negative --which means that you HAVE seen a downside ....

R

Rodney Wrestt

TSK, alright then ED, "I haven't seen a downside to using said spray with carbon based fishing products" Better?

W

Wolfman Woody

Now go away and write that 100 times. Consider yourself chastised by the site's master of grammar.