Introduction and question

acbruce

Reaction score
I'm returning to fishing after a very long absence. I have bought a Leeda 2XL starter kit, but after a couple of trips to the local commercial carp lake I'm less than impressed with, particularly the reel and would like to equip myself for general course fishing. Reading several mags and online reviews I'v identified the Greys TX Prodigy or the Preston Carbonactive 10' Mini carp along with the Shimano Exage reel as immediate upgrades.
Am I spending too much at this stage trying to get an all round rod or would I be better building a kit gradually with specific rods for specific purposes? Or shall I invest in a pole setup?
There is a bewildering range of kit from which to choose that I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Reaction score
Welcome to Fishing Magic

Both the rods you mention have fine reputations.

I have a couple of exages myself and they are excellent reels.

Build the kit up gradually but many rods and reels can be used for a variety of species and scenarios. Be influenced by the nature of the waters you will mainly fish. As you get back ito the swing of things you may want to branch out on to other waters which may require different kit.

Look through some of the articles in Fishing magic at the top of the main page - under rigs and features.

Poshers

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fine words from a fine gent there Poshers

As Poshers said you will not go far wrong with shimano reels Exage or Cantana are good.

THe rods you mention are nice rods - 10 ft may be a bit small depending on where you are fishing but a good rod never the less - Have a look at Drenan rods - carp waggler 12ft is a good rod for fish up to 10lb or so - will let you enjoy the fight without feeling out of control

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello acbruce and welcome to fm

acbruce

Reaction score
Thanks and..

I aim to fish a the local stillwater commercials and perhaps a reservoir or two locally in Sussex to begin with. Where should I put the bulk of my cash on a rod or rell and which should I upgrade first? Bit like putting a hi-fi system together in the olden days it seems

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If you are fishing holding the rod then you want one you can hold for as long as you intend to fish in comfort

AS for reels - you can't go wrong with shimanos IMO - a size 4000 is a good all round siza depending on how far you are fishing - I ahve a shimano 2500 size which is a nice small reel for small venues but I will be getting a 4000 for bigger lakes .

THe reel will wear out before the rod in most cases - The rods I have are all fine but cheap reels let you down sooner or later