Method Feeder Rod

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new rod, primarily for casting method feeders of 30g to 45g + ground bait. Bite indication will be bobbins, so need for a quiver. Species on the cards are specimen crucians & roach; tench, carp and bream around 4lb to 6lb but the chance of something bigger is possible. casting distance from reasonably close range to a good punch out. Some snagy swims.

I’m looking for a faster action than my Avon’s, robust build, no thrills. Hook sizes from 12 to 16.

I like the look of the Drennan distance tench and bream rods, the 2lb tc version, it ticks a few boxes, but I’m just worried it might kill the joy, for want of a better word. How soft is the tip if you use one? Living abroad I don’t get to have a waggle, so I have to buy blind a lot of the time.

If you have any recommendations I’d be grateful, I’m only looking for an off the peg rod, so no custom built suggestions or outright spoon in the sugar bowl ones…

Thanks for your help or advice in advance! Cheers!

Last edited:

Fin

Reaction score
Brench

Check out the new Shimano Brench rods. Sounds like they could be the rods for you if you're punching out feeders over 60yds. 12ft 6in long and 1.75lb TC. I had a try with one at the weekend and was very impressed. My mate had them set up with small method feeders (4oz loaded) and we were casting them 80yds with ease using 10lb mainline. The action on them is lovely with tench fighting under the rod tip and no hook pulls.

Highly recommended for bream and tench at distance.

£120 per rod he paid