So What Scares You?

N

NottmDon

On another thread someone mentioned that they were scared of fishing in the dark. Now not much scares me and fishing after dark is pure pleasure as far as I am concerned. I guess theres a few of you here that have things youre not comfortable with. Does it interfere with your fishing? I dont particularly like handling big eels myself but my real fear is of flying, I bloody hate it (no I dont flap my arms I am talking aeroplanes). I mean even the place were you wait for a flight is called a 'terminal' doesnt fill me with confidence lol. My fear maybe that I am relying on someone else to do the piloting of the plane not to mention the maintenance crews and the like. Doesnt interfere with my fishing though but does anyone have a phobia that might make them stay at home rather than fish?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to have a go at driving an aeroplane, so you'd be safe with me mate.
I don't mind the dark, except when there is somebody who is standing close by and watching me without speaking.
Too many smack heads hanging about in the area would be the only thing to keep me from fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's who I was taking about Steve,Jason just stands there watching you.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
He seems like a nice guy, he knows his fishing, but it's the obsession with killing someone or something that scares me.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Snakes. Having spent quite a lot of time out the far east and seeing some of the very venomous snakes like cobras they really give me the willies.

When I was on CinC's staff in Singapore we lived in a place called Kranji Wireless station. To get to and from the living quarters to the canteen we had to walk along a very narrow path and across a football pitch a distance of about 300 yards.

Not too bad in daylight because you could see any snakes that were about but at night it was the things nightmares are made of. There was no lighting whatsoever and in the two years I was there I was never very comfortable with that walk, the only thing that helped was a few pints of Tiger beer.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jason has not got his computer fixed up yet Steve, so we can give him a good slagging off if you like.

L

Les Clark

Being in the plane that Baz is flying would scare the crap out of me .

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The one thing that frightens me is the thought that Jason will think it was me who suggested to give him a good slagging off, when in reality it was Steve that put me up to it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Seriously now,
Night fishing at Longleat and hearing those Lions, I didn't get any sleep at all!

L

Les Clark

People walking around the lakes (non anglers ),in the day they tend to be dog walkers or faimlys out for a stroll ,at night they tend to be pissheads taking a short cut home ,most are o.k. but some are looking for a row and with all the gear laid out ,that can be a bit hairy.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fishing anywhere where Baz is a bailiff scares the crap out of me.

Planes - no problem, love 'em. Fly as high as they like. Clear blue skies looking down at the landscape below working out where everything is. Watching little dots (cars on motorways etc.) scuttling about and tracking rivers. Looking across France and wondering at the Alps, beautiful.

Heights - scare the shit out of me. Now work that out!

Go up a tall building, even just 6 floors sometimes and by backsides going like a jellyfish. I went up the south tower of the world trade centre onto the indoor viewing deck, stood aginst the glass and whoooaaaaa! Then my mate suggested we go further up on the outside viewing deck and believe it or not, that was a lot better. You were yards from the edge and no chance of suicide, there were electified fences to stop anyone doing that.

J

john conway

Nothing at the moment, but like Baz said there's no reasoning with smack heads, so they are best avoided. Fortunately they don't like walking long distances so I personally don't see any. As I get older (61 last Friday) I'm a bit more concerned about falling when I'm on my own, which is about 90% of the time.
I've yet to meet the ghost that's supposed to haunt the bit of river where I fish, so I'll reserve my judgement on that one.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Adders are very prolific round the Forest of Dean where I live, especially in spring and they seem attracted to water. Fishing the various lakes round the forest can be a bit hairy for snake haters like me when they suddenly appear in your pitch or swim towards you.

I don't take my dog with me for that reason because they are inquisitive and dogs often don't recover from adder bites.

Snake phobia? Me?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I'm scared of hitting someone who might cause me grief on the bank.

They don'y allow you to defend yourself in this country.

T

The Monk

I often walk around carp lakes at night with my habit on, scarey eh

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like John and Les, the smackheads who have got no reasoning to them.
One minuet they can be okay, the next they will burn your car out or steal your tackle.
can you believe it, there was one recently who was offering ?50 a time to steal peoples rods. And then he would come talking to you as nice as pie.
more of a pest at the moment, but you never know once they need that next injection.

L

Les Clark

Years ago I was fishing Johnsons lake in kent ,there was a no swimming rule but this summers day it was red hot and there was a bloke swimming (non angler) out about 100 yds in front of the bloke in the next swim , so this bloke gets out his black widow pult and starts lobbing out stones at this swimmer ,the swimmer was not amused ,swam to the far bank ,walked all the way arould to this bloke in the next swim ,grabbed the black widow and threw it in the lake ,and then give the angler a couple of slaps .
They were both in the wrong ,but gave me a good laugh .