Norfolk newcomer

JC

Reaction score
Afternoon all! Well with an impending move to Norfolk on the cards I am looking for any "get me started information" about fishing in Norfolk, particularly Broadland. As an experienced pike angler (20 years fishing, Liason officer for the PAC for the last 6) I would welcome any help with how/where to get started, clubs/permits etc. I'm also a big tench/bream fan during the warmer months. I'm not asking for anyone to give away their favourite spots, I'm not that naive, but some general info about the area. Is there anyone out there who could help? Many thanks, JC

JC

Reaction score
Obviously there are no anglers whatsoever in Norfolk! Means I'll have the place to myself then............:)

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Sorry i can't be of myuch use as I've only really fished Norfolk for the Zander on the Middle Level and the Relief Channel and that was a decade ago... but by posting your thread will have gone back to the top !

Tarquin

Reaction score
Norfolk broads if your a pike man.......isnt that obvious?

F

Fred Bonney

For tench & bream try the Anglia Water web site for their fisheries.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
He did, and most bookshops in the county stock it. "Tourist Information" may be a good source, too; I know nothing about the broads, but Breckland ( the dry bit in the middle of Norfolk) do a leaflet listing just about every fishery in the area, so I'd have thought Broadland would, too.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

JC, I live on the North Norfolk coast and can tell you there are some really nice waters above Norwich including Swanton Morley, Lenwade Mill, Common Lakes and loads of other day ticket waters. For big pike and carp then Common Lakes would take some beating.
When I first moved here 2 years ago I bought John Wilson's book "THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE ON WHERE TO FISH IN NORFOLK AND SUFFOLK". It gives details of lakes and rivers plus day ticket or season ticket prices and directions on how to get to them. Best 9.95 I've ever spent.
I hope enjoy moving to the county as much as I have.

JC

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the input guys, especially Tarquin, who seems to have a gift for stating the bleedin' obvious!! :)

My local bookshops seem mystified when I ask them to order something, and amazon are advertising one used copy of Wilson's book for the bargain price of only ?190!!! Thanks amazon, but I think I'll keep looking...........

J

jason fisher

tarqin is only 15 the only answers he's learned yet are obvious.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Check Amazon again JC, item 5 ( below your ?190 book item 1) 2002 paperback ?9.95. Any decent book shop should be able to get it in if it isn't in stock, perhaps you need a trip to Norwich to find a better book shop.

S

sash

JC,

On the pike front I don't think you'll readily get much information on an open forum. Whereabouts are you moving to? I can recommend Wilson's book as a starting point too.

JC

Reaction score
Hi guys. Richard, I'll be just up the road from you, in Wymondham. (just got back from there now) I wasn't expecting any detailed info Sash, just some details on angling clubs and waters in the area, maybe info on boatyards etc, but have just ordered Wilson's book, and hopefully that will get me started :) I don't know how active the PAC are in the area, but that seems to be a good starting point, as my old mate Denis Moules is relatively close by, in Cambridge..........

S

sash

Very active JC. Denis is definately the man to contact re PAC. It's not my area but I've heard a lot of good things from Chris Bishop and others. The Ely/Fenland PAC do have a website that might help you if you want info from the Fens (rather than the Broads).

JC

Reaction score
cheers Sash. As I'll have both within reasonable distance and I was brought up on the straight, relatively featureless drains of Somerset I'll be having a crack at fenland too no doubt. Might even get me first Zander at some point........:)

S

sash

"relatively featureless drains" - you'll fit right in mate!!

You're more than welcome to join myself (or one or two of the other lads that pop in on here occasionally) for a zander session if you like. I'm far from being an expert but I know the area fairly well. Fascinating species.