Other Angling Websites.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

How many of you have tried to become members of other fishing websites only to find that they want far too many details from you.

I have recently tried to get on two other sites and when you get into them they want such things as your mother's maiden name and physical address.

Not only that you have to sign up to dodgy agreements.

This is not on.

The top website: FM requires no such stuff, and that is what makes it so good.

One website wanted details such that they could send me all sorts of crap about buying vehicles and other such dross.

All I can say is keep clear of websites demanding too much in the way of information that is confidential.

There are too many internet criminals about these days.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Having found this site by pure accident(ask jeeves question), I do agree with you.

Too many specific questions on other sites makes you very wary of joining them.

We have "crossed swords" already, (de-salinisation) but I love it, the FM site I mean!

It's nice to be able to post a thread, contreversioul(how do you spell that?)contreversial, or asking for advice and help and get so many replies.

I do find it a bit intimidating, because you all seem to know each other so well.

I do hope to put that right and meet some of you, when I can hopefuly join you on an FM fish in on the Stour or Avon, thanks to Pete. I can't wait!

Excellant site, although it's pee-ing my wife off, cos I'm always on it!

Oh, it's stopped raining!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, don't be intimidated that we all seem to know each other well. That's exactly what we aim for on FM (being a community website) and there is no way that you or anyone else will be excluded, except, of course, the odd ones that come on and try to take the mick. They soon go away with a flea in their ear.

Coming along to an FM fish-in is a sure way to 'break the ice' and is highly recommended. Anyone can organise a fish-in in their area on behalf of FM, and we will help to publicise it as much as possible.

Intimidating new posters is not allowed on FM, and I don't know of any of our regulars who would do such a thing anyway.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I have recently tried to get on two other sites" - Bloody traitor Ron! Aren't we no longer good enough for you. :(

Steve,

When I first came on here I didn't know anyone, except for the reputation of Graham who I had followed since the 60's when he was catching his monster (at the time) bream.

Since then, I have met so many really nice people, Peter Jacobs, Andy Nellist, Mark Wintle, Barry Edney, Nigel Connor, Nigel Moors, Graham Elliott, Kevin Perkins, Frothey, Graham (Williewhatnot) Whatmore, Jason Fisher, Skive, and not forgetting Big Rik and Graham Marsden! Names just keep going through my head and I can't hold onto them for long enough to type them.

One person I haven't yet met, not because I've tried to avoid him either, is Ron Clay. We've spoke some times on the phone and despite the p**s taking and when sometimes either of us gets it wrong, he seems a nice bloke too. (That'll cost you a drink when we do meet Ron, which will be a challenge in itself.)

Stick with it and get to know some of us. You might not agree with everything that's said, but at the end of the day, we're all anglers together.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Don't worry,nobody has intimidated me in that way, it's just because I'm new and when I see the discussions going on everybody seems to know each other very well.

I do intend joining some off you, hopefully, at an FM fish-in and putting some faces to all of those names and also making some new friends.

It's a great site, glad I found it.

Cheers,

Steve

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Steve, many of the people on here do know each other and that's because of this website and others too.

As stated above, going to the fish ins is great because you'll get to know more anglers, make friends and learn from them (and they can learn from you too.)

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Steve, FM's is a very friendly site and you'll soon know everyone. When you go to the fish-ins you soon realise what a nice bunch the FM'ers are.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Very true Andy.

We all have a go at each other from time to time, but the thing is we never get personal and much of the banter is very good natured indeed.

Thank The Lord we can laugh at each other and ourselves too.

Anyone who was at the recent trout fish-in will know that.

But seriously what makes this site is the character of our editor. You don't get better ambassaders for our sport than Graham.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

And i dont know of any other site that has a tight fisted midget pappa smurf lookalike as editor either......take a look in the Gallery and you can find 'our' Graham holding what he claims to be a Barbel. Also take note of other pic with arm around another fella........need i say more......

Reaction score
I visit some based on Ezboards which are good and they target Barbel more than covering all aspects of angling but I'm spending more time on some US based forums which are all about Newfs and they are fab.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
I have to agree having just got set up on the net, I tried many sites and yes they do want too many details, After talking too friends they reccomended FM and i have to say im very impressed! ive had some great replies to my threads asking for help with certain aspects of fishing from what sounds like some very good anglers, they all seem a really friendly bunch, they have a good laugh and poke fun at each other which is good banter and all in all all of us have got one thing in common we love fishing, So thanks to all the guys who have helped me out and hopefully ill see some of you at a fish-in in the near future, top marks to Graham Marsden for a great website, one of my favourite writers and obviously a very talented angler, cheers.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve,
I have met a few of the lads on this site, and there are many I am waiting to meet at some point or other. Needles to say I regard them all as friends, even the ones I haven't met yet.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Baz, that sums up what a great site this is, friendly, helpful, and above all theres no click, you dont have to be a well known angler to recieve replies, or best mates with some of the members! im really looking forward to meeting some of the lads, im sure it would be a helpfull and entertaining day/night whilst waiting for your rod to hoop round!!
cheers.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If it wasn't for members like Hatrick (he once got three consecutive casts to the same spot at 15yds distance) the site would be almost perfect.

Not a bad lad though, in spite of the haircut.

B

Bob Hornegold

I look at three sites-- 1 a predominately Carp site, 2 a small specimen group site, 3 this site.

1-- = Lots of Carpers with some interesting debates on The Best Colour of Your Baiting neddle.

2-- = Small group with spead of abilities.

3-- = Fishingmagic = Some very Good threads, covering a wide spectrum of angling disiplines, quite a lot of Specimen stuff. And of course plenty of posters from " above Watford Gap " to wind up.

Bob

Darkstar

Reaction score
Hi Bob, I always thought the Watford gap was the empty space between a suvverners ears.:)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

No it's the empty space in words where they can't pronounce Ts, Ks, and THs

Eg: Water = "Wor'ah", Walker = "Wor'a"

Things = "Fings"

:eek:)