Making the most of it

W

Wolfman Woody

There's a deal of truth in what you say Mark. Many chuck out a second rod on a hope and a prayer without giving it too much thought.

I know many anglers fish two quiver rods of the same type and same length in the same swim, I've never been wealthy enough to have two the same. However, I have fished, on a river, a 10 foot rod on an inside swim with a small maggot feeder and a longer 12' rod across the river (50+ yards) with a groundbait feeder. By positioning them with the shortest rod closest to the river I manage to keep out of all tangles.

I am also working on my carp tactics for May. Normal bolt rig on the bottom with a small bag of pellets etc. and a bagging waggler on top, directly over it. This is so that the groundbait falling off the bagging waggler is also feeding the area around the bolt rig in case they're on the bottom.

That's two rods, but THREE RODS? oooohhhh! Baz will have your permit for that!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark,
What can I say?...........................
I will often use two rods, one for fishing the main area, and the other for picking the odd bigger fish up that is hopefully holding off the main feeding area, as you say, a ploy that sometimes works. Three rods would be too much of a handfull for my kind of fishing.

I am watching you.(o

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I use betwen 1 and 4 rods depending on where i am fishing and what i am fishing for. The only purpose for which i use an extra rod or rods is simply to cover more water.

A good example would be when roving for chub I often use two identical rods. Using two allows me to fish the swim with one and explore it with the other. This could be by playing around with the amount of weight, exploring other potential features in the swim or using a different bait.

Normally I would target the same species with all of the rods in use. i've found inhte past that when fishing significantly different styles at the same time it is quite easy to end up making a poor job of both.