trout pellet/molasses paste

ByNasty

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking at starting my campaign for tench in a couple of weekends on a nice uncrowded pit but I'm havin a few issues on the bait front. Does any one out there have a recipe for trout pellet/molasses paste? I know it was popular a few years ago but I can't find any info on it. I just attempted a mix using just pellet powder, molasses and a splash of maize oil, to say it was a complete failure is an understatement!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tight lines

ByNasty

Reaction score
What just add an egg to bind it? (or are you just calling me names?!)

ByNasty

Reaction score
so how about this then;
1 egg
2 teaspoons of corn oil
1 cup (ish) of trout pellet powder

then if i add maybe 20ml of molasses?

when i made it without egg the molasses binded it but it was more just a sticky blob as if the powder had stuck to the molasses instead of mixing in and turning into a smooth paste. It would crumble if i squeezed it.

S

Stuart Harvey

Qtr of pint of trout pellets just covered in boiling water. Stick your molasses in as well.

Leave for 30 mins.

Add an egg and mush up the whole lot with a fork.

Stiffen using cornflour. Works a treat.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Is 20ml or so of molasses enough? I have been using powder and still have some left so a cup of that would give about the same as a 1/4 of a pint of pellets wouldn't it?

D

Danny Lancaster

Experiment with different amounts and record your results each time. You may find that just the attraction of the fishmeal smell alone gives as good a result as lacing the mix with molasses?

ByNasty

Reaction score
i'm adding the molasses cos i'll be fishing over a bed of crumb/hemp/pellets laced with the stuff and then a soaked pellet/molasses method feeder so i want the paste to blend as if it was just a bit broken off the method ball. i was thinkin of maybe adding a dash of scopex as well but i'm not sure if that is over doing it a bit. All of this is just stuff that I have lying round so i'm not wasting more money.

J

jason fisher

bynasty just keep on the lines you're thinking, might i suggest you try the preston paste springs as well but tie one onto the shank of the hook.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Cheers guys. Can't really use lobs or maggots where I am going due to the number of small eels Graham but I might mix some expo in with the crumb. Was going to use an 8mm pellet on a hair to wrap the paste around so when the paste is gone I still have a bait out. I have been soaking some in a mixture of maize oil and molasses to prolong the breakdown time. Haven't used the paste springs, decent bits of kit? some of the springs I've seen (don't know what brand) looked a bit sharp and nasty.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Bynasty, one of the tricks I used when paste fishing on the river was to mould some Doppel ganger pellet flavour round the shank of the hook then mould the paste round that. Not only does help to keep the paste on but you still have a bait there if it falls/washes off. Works with barbel but never tried it with tench but I don't see why it wouldn't,

ByNasty

Reaction score
Just tested my oil soaked pellets. They have been in for 7 hours but have broken down to the point that they would have fallen off the hair. Might get 6 Hours out of them. They were leaking off like a good 'un though! I like the doppelganger idea, am I right in thinking that it doesn't dissolve and that it also floats? Pop up or critically ballance off the feeder, Hmmm interesting! The other thing I was thinking is that if I have paste mixed with eggs, how much effort is it going to be to roll a dozen or so hookers and boil them. Could that be a solution?

M

matt thomas

stu harveys idea is about the best way and as he says just keep adding cornflour until it thickens,i do this on a worktop in the kitchen as if you are rolling pastry(when missus isnt around)chuck some cornflour down chuck your ball of paste on it and knead like f*#k just keep adding more until its stiff enough to keep on the hook or hairspring,i can keep it on a hook on the trent for barbel in very fast flows so you should be ok for tench

substitute the oil for margerine and oil as this thickens it too

the korum paste springs are decent enough and they are not sharp as the are made like a small ball,the ones you are on about bynasty is like a proper spring and should be avoided as they are sharp at the end,dont know who makes them though

ByNasty

Reaction score
Just a quick thankyou to you guys for the help. Had my first fish on my air dried troutie molasses boilie/paste today, only a single figure mirror and a couple of small bream, but at least it's worked. Next week the proper test when I take i to the pit. Hopefully the tench like it as well. Oh and I'm going to try popped up maggots on the other rod and see if I get eel'd out.
Again cheers for your input and tight lines and wet nets to all of you.

L

Les Clark

I also have been useing trout pellet paste mixed with crab paste for that little extra flavour (well my cat goes mad for it ) ,wrapped around two peace`s of maize ,on a water that has a boilie ban ,so far so good ,two bait`s in one ,I think it is the paste breaking up that is the attraction ,( a soft paste )becouse the runs are within half hour ,plus useing small pva net of pellets .