Flooded River advice

barney10

Reaction score
Having never fished a flooded barbel river ,whats the best approach and what tactics work ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Having never fished a flooded barbel river ,whats the best approach and what tactics work ?
Barney, I dont think there is just one simple answer. My advice is to get to know the river and its varying moods- these can vary almost by the minute, particularly if the river is a large one or tidal, maybe even a spate river like those in my native yorkshire. Having done this , and it can take time ,you will be better equiped to make more critical decisions regarding location, bait rigs etx. Never be afriad to experiment and even more important never never never ignore using float tackle-- so many barbel anglers I see seem to fight the currant using gear that would do justice on a beach-- ok but soooooo not right on many occasions. Its not easy but when the results come rolling in and you have done your own spadework its really really satifying.

dezza

Reaction score
I have caught some of my best fish in flooded rivers, especially when the river just starts to drop after a flood, or "fine off" as some say.

The reason for this is that after using a lot of energy to fight the floods, the fish become starved and have to replace that energy by eating. Find the fish, and you could be in for a bonanza.

I found a shoal of roach, together with a few chub and dace once on the River Leam and caught a tremendous catch. This was after a week of very heavy rain.

But you must be prepared to pick your days.

And you must know your river.

POLO

Reaction score
I have to agree with both comments especially about getting to know the river. It takes time and effort but is rewarding. I too have had some of my best catches whilst the river is flood including a personal best of 12lb 2oz in 12ft flood and I will only fish a river if there is a bitmorerunning through and/or colour in it. However to give you a heads up:
-Visit river as much as possible even if your not fishing, However try to take a rod. (Minimal tackle) and wear polorised glasses. I like to do this during the closed season (except take a rod) It helps when trying to see what is going on on the bed and a rough ideaof the depths.
-A bend in the river creates an eddy (Slack Water coming back on itself) these usally hold fish
-Look for swirls in the water. This is usually an onstruction in the water and fish just behind it.
-Don't be scarred of freelining along the margins with big lob worms or big pieces of meat.
-Overhanging trees that enter the water can hold fish too.
Use normal tactics too
Good luck

barney10

Reaction score
Floody hell

Thanks to all three of you for advice , I am going to be fishing the River Wye and know the stretch a little bit . I think what puts me and other novices of is the shear volume of water but listening to you experts it sounds better ! A big thank you for your help ! Anymore info then please keep it coming !
Barney10

Reaction score
Barney,

One simple bit of advice is to tie a stop knot or slide a float-stop up the line above the lead, this will very effectively reduce the amount of flood debris that gets to your hookbait.

Also don't be afraid of using large smelly baits, halibut pellets up to 22mm (donkey chokers) are good...

Finally, be safe... I have fished in some horrendous flood situations but I never take chances. A dog spike and rope can be useful to get back up slippery banks but the main thing is don't fish a swim that looks dodgy/ slippery/ tight/ drops off etc.

My mate Jim fell into a swollen river Severn in winter and he was lucky to survive... the current swept him straight into a fishing platform... after he'd been under water for 30-40 metres...