A Good Idea

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Anyone remember the Dave Thomas Feeder Float.It was basicaslly a big bodied waggler but the body was hollowed so that maggots could be put inside which would then fall out when the float settled.

It never caught on but I seem to recall it working quite well.Could it be the new bagging waggler?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Those floats with a lever in the middle were called: "The Mak Wood Lever Float".

These came on the market some time in the 60s.

My old friend Tag Barnes wrote an article about how they were effective in helping him catch shy biting crucians.

As Mark says the vast majority of floats ever invented, like the vast majority of flies, were designed to catch anglers, not fish.

N

NottmDon

I remember the Dave Thomas feeder float, even had a couple of em, he also came up with the 'locslide' float which was rehashed and then came out as the 'Polaris' made by the guys Dave Thomas used to do the fishing talks with, Terry Smith and Martin Fouldes if my memory serves me well. Havent heard much of Dave Thomas recently, a very nice guy who could fish more than a bit, hope hes doing okay.

G

Ged

Has anyone seen an Askari fishing catalogue recently?
I'm certain that in either last year's or the year before, they had a carp rod that the line threaded up the centre. Describe as a Stalking rod, especially useful over reeds or for poking through trees so as not to get your line tangled.

L

Laurie Harper

I've got a rather quaint device called a "Tippit" float. It consists of a longish, thin stem with a round sliding body. The idea is that you set the body at the top of the stem, add sufficient shot to cock it and then slide the body down the stem so that it just lays flat on the surface. A bit is supposed to cause it to tip upright - it has a rounded, bright red top for visibility. I've never used it - it was a present from a non-fishing uncle when I was young - so I don't know whether the idea works. Must have had it about forty years - still brand new in it's cardboard tube with leaflet. I keep it for nostalgia's sake.

N

NottmDon

Sounds a nice thing to keep Laurie mate. Few years back Gerry Woodcock of Gerrys in Nottm made some floats similar to the one you describe for pole fishing rivers, he called it a "centrac" I have some and they are the dogs wotsits, however they never took off as the lollipop pole float seemed more popular.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`ve got a couple of maggot feeder floats i use in the summer months for fishing up in the water with.ones a small sized one which just lets the maggots drip slowly out and i have used it with plenty of success fishing a pole.
the biggest fish i have taken was a barbel i estimated at about 7-10lbs in a private ?100 a year lake i used to fish.the barbel slipped the hook at the net.
barbel,in a lake......what have i said.....i`m off before the mob arrive to string me up!!!

N

NottmDon

Think thats the float that Dave Thomas invented and what Nigels thread was about Nick. Of course we have bigger versions now for the commercial carp waters under the name baggin waggler which are very similar in concept. Barbel in lakes? Nawh I aint even gonna go there mate lol