Insect repellants

R

Ray Corcoran

I have tried most of them. Pure citronella is 100% effective in banishing insects - unfortunately it also banishes your friends and it does taint baits. I will give this a try although I must admit I haven't seen it around. I will consult my local chemist.

By the by mosquito coils also work but only downwind! I suffer horrendously from mosquito bites in particular so when I obtain some of this new product I will let you know if it works for me (and I retain my family!)

L

Laurie Harper

A constant cloud of Old Holborn smoke keeps the blighters away from me, I find.

S

si

i to suffer badly from fly bites cost me 6 weeks of work after an ireland trip last year so i will be giving it a try to .

but also my dermatoligist told me to take an anti-histimine before fishing as flys dont like it !!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I take an anti-histimine before I go fishing as I'm allegic to fish slime:) I've just started on vitamin B6 which also puts them off. I still get the odd bite so a bit of proprietory insect repellant goes on exposed areas as well.

G

Ged

Some years ago I read an article from an American who made his own insect repelant. It contained creosote.
Also came across and old Scotsman who swore by not using soap. Should have seen how red his face was, migy bites galore.

M

mark williams 4

Jungle Formula - you can't beat it. I used to know a farmer who used to rub derv on his neck and ankles to put them off. I am also assured that if you eat stacks of garlic, the smell puts off biting insects... certainly puts women off you.
In Sweden a couple of years ago, off-raoding, there were more things that bite you than in Dracula's castle. Everyone else got a real chewing (ere, no missus) but I didn't.... and that was before using Jungle Forumula. The b***ards just don't like me in Sweden. In GB, it's Jungle Formula all the way...

Ergo

Reaction score
Put a bucket of fertiliser (you thought I was going to say sh1t, didn't you) in the next swim, and see if it attracts them away from you. ;)

R

Ray Corcoran

I don't know about the fertiliser - I haven't got a cow (if you exclude the wife(I'm safe she hates fishing and fishing web-sites))!

Jungle Juice doesn't do a thing for me. In fact I seem to get bitten more.

Mosquitoes locate their prey by following the chemicals on your breath; they can detect you (and me) from up to three miles away. People like me should be grateful that we don't have malarial species in this country but with global warming it can't be more than a few years away.

Last year there was a report of malarial mosquito larvae being found in the Thames estuary. I hope that's not true.

G

Ged

Just bought some roll on from Asda, price ?4.98. per 50ml. They also stocked the spray pump and the candles.

D

david bruce 1

In my youth I used to visit an old countryman who was a taxidermist on the side. He used simple chemicals and country products. He was alway telling us of old recipies (I wish I had written them down). His fly repellant was made from Privet leaves. Simple boil them in water and use the resulting fluid. I have not tried this as such but have often rubbed privet leaves on my arms an the resulting green juice does seem to work. Worth a try at no cost!

R

Ray Corcoran

Well I have now given the Crocodile a go on two occasions. Admittedly both were in daylight but I would still expect midge trouble. So far 'no bites' from the insects. Two from the Tench.

Ray

N

NottmDon

Speci lad on another site swears by savlon, reckons it works a treat for scaring the nasties away and yet doesnt taint.

R

Ray Corcoran

Looking at the content of Savlon I cannot see what there is to repel any 'biters'. However, it may be a very useful tip as I always have a tube in the tackle box because it is so effective for many kinds of things. You'd need an awful lot of it though wouldn't you if you are going to cover every exposed area?

Ray

N

NottmDon

Depends how much you expose Ray lol. I havent tried it myself but like you I always keep some handy for emergencies. A small dab of the stuff does go a surprising long way.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Load of rubbish.

Go fishing with Barney. His farts destroy all insects in the area.

R

Ray Corcoran

Give me his telephone number so I can find out what he eats!