new reel

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm off to buy a new reel in a week or so and I've looked at a few makes but Shimano is still my No1 - I've looked at the new Drenan series 7 reels but didn't like them (even though they have been highly recommended to me by some one on FM)

I have a Shimano Cantana 2500 and I fine it a great samll reel for float fishing my local waters , but I'm lookign to buy a 4000 size for biggers waters feeder fishing

Now here the problem - since my Cantana is so good and a new one is aroung £30 can I justify to myself a Stratic at £90?

My heart says Stratic my head says Cantana and save £60 (or buy 2 extra Cantanas or a new Drenan Series seven feeder rod)

What will the Stratic do more than the Cheaper model (yes I know there is fighting drag) but whatelse can I justify the extra cash?

Steve King

Reaction score
Well I don't know the Shimano Cantana, but i did buy a cheaper Shimano model namely the Nexave earlier this year.

It just didn't feel right and I ended up flogging it on eBay after a few outings. I can't really explain, but it just felt awkward in some way!

I have a few Shimanos and they have proved very reliable. I am not a total tackle tart as the Nexave was replaced by a Quantum reel (don't ask the model as I can't remember) which did cost a lot of notes, but feels right, has a decent drag and casts reasonable distances without a great deal of effort.

Well your Lordship, if you are currently happy with the Cantana you won't be disappointed with another, however once you have a Stradic, you will probably want to replace all your Cantanas!!!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why not halve the difference? Take a look at a Shimano Exage.

The earlier one that I got (2500) was a bit on the heavy side even though I like it especially for feeder fishing, but the new models are a lot, lot lighter and better.

415vWnCqN6L._SS500_.jpg

Take a look at one, that's all.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The Exage is £22 cheaper £68 instead of £90 ok so it's either save £60 on the Cantana or blow the lot of a Stratic.

I've been in and drooled over a Stratic 3 times now but can't get the walet open:wh

dezza

Reaction score
The Diawa TDR is one of the best smaller sized FS reels I have ever used, but they start at £125.00 - ouch.

You might be able to pick one up second hand as I did.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Get the wallet open and become a tackle tart...you know you want too

Paul Morley

Reaction score
M'lud - the Stradics I have were £75 from 'Ian's Fishing Tackle'. They are so good all my other reels now face the chop in that size. The fightin drag actually works and is brilliant, no baitrunner needed ever again. That's all. It's Catana, not blinkin Cantana, Santana, Sultana.....

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sorry about that chaps - yes it is Catana - my dyslexia (I am border line) kicks in again.

I think we all know where is heading, if I buy the Catana I'll always long for the Stratic so it looks like all the cash on one reel.

Then if it's as good as you all say I'll be adding another to my Christmas list.
The Exage I hear good things about so this weekend I'll be having a good look at both the Exage and the Stratic and also searching Ebay for a bargain.