striking on a single bleep

Dean Woodward 2

Reaction score
hi all was wondering how many of you strike on a single bleep or in what situation you would do so i never do but was wondering if maybe i am missing on certain ocasions?

njb51

Reaction score
It can sometimes pay off Dean, but it is a bit hit and miss.

I was at one of my local lakes with my rods set up on my pod and alarms, sitting there for ages when suddenly my alarm beeped just once and my hanger lifted slightly. I didnt strike at this point but decided to leave it until a run.
Nothing for half an hour and then curiosity got the better of me and i decided to reel in and check my bait. Upon lifting up the rod, i realised that i had hooked into a fish, a small mirror of around 4lbs.
It must have taken the bait and just sat there for ages until i reeled it in. This may be coincidence but i reckon if i had striked the beep initially i still would have hooked into this fish.

T

The Monk

a lot of it depends on conditions and your rig, watch the line about the top eye if possible and try to identify if it is fish at the bait or line bites. Back in the 70s we went through a twitch hitting period, alleged when particure and mass baits were in heavy usage, "bleep smack" they would go as the bobbin hit the rod, we would sit over them like gun fighters, a rod at each side and hit everything that moved and it payed off often a tiny bleep would be converted into a fish on the bank. This however was in a period prior to bolt rigs and hairs so you need to be aware of what was actually happening at the time, which may be entirely different than what is happening today.

Alnath

Reaction score
if you get a single beep look at the rod tip and the line, if they are moving and you are sure it is not wind hit it.