FM Home Page

S

Shrek

Is it me, or has the home page changed? Instead of the large picture at the top of the page and the latest articles listed underneath, I now how all articles listed in a column on the left hand side and FM Hot Spots listed in a column on the right. Still got all the adds framing it though. Can I change it back under my preferences, or is it staying that way? If so, I don't like it

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you guys - it is, well, it just isn't Fishing Magic, is it!

Even though I am an old reactionary - can we please have aou Home Page back again?

:-0

M

Mark Hodson

Have to agree, don't think its a change for the better

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The new look is deliberate.

I agree it's not as eye catching as the old look, but this one is far more practical.

One of the major complaints about the old look was that the latest articles dropped off the home page too quickly.

The second most common complaint was that some of the reference stuff (General and Beginners in particular) was not easily accessible, which it now is in the right hand box under 'FM Hot-spots'.

The new look is not written in stone, so if the majority think we should return to the old look then so be it.

However, before you 'cast your vote' think about the practical side of things, use the new look for a few days, and then make your views known.

By all means make your views known right away, but let's give it a few days at least before we either accept or condemn it.

I thought long and hard about it myself before I gave it the okay, for I think it allows you to see just how rich in content the site is, whereas before so much of it was buried.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Incidentally, the new look has been trialled for some time on two of our sister sites:

Roadcyclinguk
and
Golfmagic

and the members now prefer the new look.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Also, any ideas on how we can improve the new look are always appreciated. This is YOUR site and it's what YOU want that matters in the long run.

G

Gary Knowles 2

From what I can remember everytime the look has changed people said they didn't like it.

In most cases a week later everyone preferred it, I'll bet this is no different...

alan

Reaction score
to me it looks to crowded, i prefer the old look, it looked tidier.

L

Les Clark

I feel its for the better ,a quick and easy index to whats going on .

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Pros - good to have links to a lot of stuff that might have gone unticed to casual & new visitors to the site.

Cons - The picture supporting the current lead article has gone.This was a good first impression of the site as it was the first thing that you saw when you arrived & without it, the home page does look a little cluttered.

Can we combine the two in some way to get the best of both worlds?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've often thought that its a bit difficult to find old articles and reviews and the links on the new page does help somewhat, its just that everything looks much too crowded.

The newspapers use headlines to attract the reader whereas FM always had a photograph for this purpose. Two columns of links doesn't attract you in, especially as the casual viewer, theres nothing to grab your attention if you know what I mean. It should tell you in one glance "Hey this site is about fishing come and have a look".

This is just my reaction and a personal view of course.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Can we combine the two to get the best of both worlds?

Would it not be possible to go back to the old format but add the 7 links to the various sections that then take you on to individual pages. Then on those pages we can list even more of the older articles and contributions.

I liked the old format mainly because it looked like an Angling newspaper/magazine complete with lead story, headline and a few words of introduction.

M

Mark Hodson

It just dosen't look as welcoming as it did before. I have to accept that everything, including archive material, is far more accessable which is a good thing. It just needs to look a little more "friendly".The reason this site attracts so many people is that the first time you visit it, as far as angling sites go its the cyber equivilent of the table by the open fire in a in a real ale pub, its pulls you in and once your there you stay as its very comfortable.(And there's no danger of any tossers coming in and spoiling your drink and good conversation)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
". . . its the cyber equivilent of the table by the open fire in a real ale pub"

What a perfect description of FM in which case that makes Graham the landlord I suppose?

Fine, I'll have a pint of Tanglefoot please Mr. Marsden.