Hand Sanitizer

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff and Graham - valuable information. Just hope the Weil's disease bacterium isn't among the 0.001% that are resistant to the Hand Sanitizer!

F

Frothey

if anyones partner works for the NHS, they (are meant to!) use a similar product on the wards....;)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

An excellent substitute for this would be whisky or gin.

The Monk had better get some.

You never know where those ruffe slappers have been.

W

Wolfman Woody

Get back on the serious side of this, it could save your life!

Spirits like whisky are good, but they're not that good. For ?1.59 (?2.20 from a website) you can now afford to have a few bottles around and as Graham say, it takes 15 - 20 seconds. And it's in a lightweight handy package that can slip in your kit anywhere.

Of course, if you use it, you will never know that it has saved your life. If you don't use it, well ............

J

jason fisher

of course if everyone uses it, there won't be 0.001% resistant to it for long.

S

swordsy

Looks good! my brother breeds lizards and snakes and he uses a simmilar substance to prevent cross contamination within his lizard house.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Robert, what's the name of the Supadrug one and how much do you get for 99p.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's the same stuff that Mr Howard FAILED to use when visiting a hospital, he touched two patients without cleaning his hands in between. Tsk, tsk!

A high alcohol content is what does the trick and they have to say 99.99% or similar in case just one in ten thousand gets through. Better than taking a total risk though.

M

matthew nightingale 2

It would be good if some of the tackle shops could be presuaded to have a display on their counter.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I've been using This One for a while now, I started getting it mainly for my son as he was always picking things up off the bank. I get it from T.J. Hughes for ?1.00 a go in an 85ml bottle.

R

Robert Woods 1

Graham,
It is "Clean & Dry Hand Gel" and bottle is 100ml. I was in hospital recently for a few days and I did not see any visitors use handwash provided...!!! Even saw someone leaving cubicle in gents who just walked out without washing hands.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Graham, Robert and Rodney. There are obviously more products of this nature than we realised.

It's good that they've been highlighted, but a special thanks to Jeff for highlighting it in the first place.

Mark Vernel

Reaction score
It is worth taking note the symptoms listed below, and making sure you advise your doctor of the possibility of having contracted Weils.

Weil's Disease? (Leptospirosis)
------------------------------------------
Weil's disease is an infection carried in rats urine which contaminates water and banks of lakes, ponds and rivers. The disease which is notifiable is serious and requires hospital treatment. Symptoms start 3 to 19 days after exposure to contaminated water. Early symptoms are similar to 'Flu'. So go see a doctor and say you have been near contaminated water that may have weils disease and ask the doctor for a blood test to be carried out
A few sensible precautions

DO cover with waterproof plasters or gloves (surgical glover are perfect for hand wounds)all scratches, cuts, sores and breaks in the skin. Disinfect any wounds as soon as possible if they occur whilst at the waterside.

ALWAYS wash your hands or cover food with a wrapper before you eat.

NEVER put your hand to your mouth after immersion in river water and never place bait or fishing line in the mouth.

DON'T touch any dead animal especially rats.

NEVER leave food, groundbait or bait on the bankside.

An attack of Weil's Disease resembles a cold or flu in the initial stages. The incubation period is from 3 to 19days

Early Symptoms are: Fever, Muscular aches and pains, lost of appetite, nausea when lying down.

Later Symptoms may include: Bruising of the skin, Sore eyes, Nose bleeds, Jaundice.

The fever lasts for approximately five days, then a significant deterioration follows.
If untreated, Weil's Disease can be serious and or become FATAL

If you become ill a few days after a fishing trip, and you have any of the above symptoms, it is extremely important to contact your doctor as soon as possible. You must tell your doctor that you suspect Weil's Disease, as many of them do not associate it with influenza symptoms without a helpful hint. Treatment with antibiotics is only effective if started rapidly after symptoms develop. A blood test is conducted to determine the presence of Weil's Disease, the Public Health Laboratory receiving the test should perform an ELISA test for Leptospirosis. If in the United Kingdom, and the local PHL cannot perform and ELISA test, the sample should be sent to: The Leptospirosis Reference Unit, Public Health Laboratory, County Hospital, Hereford HR1 2ER. Telephone 0432 277707. This contact is for UK use only, by the doctor or PHL staff only.

Weil's Disease is a notifiable illness in the UK and it is essential to disclose a confirmed case to the local Public Health office, who will need to know where you believe it was caught.

Stuart Tranter

Reaction score
This is very good advice. I had the privelige a number years ago to fall out of a raft whilst white water rafting at the Notts water sports centre. Even then it was known that you could contract Weils disease by contact with water. The regular cannooists and rafters also recommended that you drank quantity`s of non diet coca cola as this will kill most bugs.

W

Wolfman Woody

Non-diet Coco-Cola? Well if that's true I'm completely immune. :eek:)

It's no laughing matter and thanks for that info Mark.

It's not just leptospirosis though, you want to prevent all sorts of tummy upsets. I've drilled it into my step-grandson now and though just a beginner, he uses the stuff as soon as he's ready to eat. That means every five minutes for him.

M

matthew nightingale 2

Graham,

Could we have the above description in a permanent place on FishingMAGIC? I certainly feel its something that should be avalable to all anglers; perhaps adding a 'Safety' area to 'Technique'?