books books books

S

swordsy

I have been collecting signed books and first editions for about six months now and my collection is coming along very well, I have books by Bob Church,Chris Turnbull,Barrie Rickards,John Wilson,Phil Smith and many more what would be the best way to get them signed? I know some of the authors frequent this site so not wanting to sound like a sick-elephant what would be the best way to get their names in my books?

I was planning on taking ruckie full to the "go fishing" show but would that have been too sad?

S

swordsy

Lee you sad little man go to bed and no more looking on ebay this week!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I possess a lot of signed books.

I have been lucky in that for most cases I have known the authors personally.

B

Bob Hornegold

So have I Ron, but the Bu**ers want sign them ?

On a serious note, do they need to be signed,I collect books to Read.

Is this thread about collecting Angling for the sake of them or collecting Books (signed) to make money in the future ?

I honestly cant believe some of the prices now-- John Sidley-- Soft Back -Successful Eel Fishing is making up to ?100.00 in good condition.

Has the world gone Mad ?????

S

swordsy

Now Ron, have you got a will sorted out?

:O)

NO seriously if ever you want to sell any that have not got a ?1k price tag let me know!

S

swordsy

I personally am not in it for the money aspect although I have double puchased a couple of books to resell one later to fund the buying of more books, I have always loved books and reading. If I was lucky enough to win the lottery I would have a proper full room library with huge leather chairs, That would be bliss!

Your point on the prices of some books is quite true, some of the books I have bid ?50 for have gone for double that amount and more!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

If the book is signed by the author it will double it's value easily.

Sometimes quadruple the value if the author has died.

Try getting books today signed by BB, Walker, Venables, Plunkett Greene and see how much they will cost.

It's all about the rarity of the object. Ask any expert in old books or antiques and he will confirm this.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just gave my step-grandson a copy of john Wilson's methods book. It wasn't signed, but a few years ago he signed a picture of himself from a caledar and I clipped it and stuck that in the front. It's not quite the same, but Connor was impressed.

You reminded me though, I have to get those books off Frank Guttfield and get him to sign them. Need to contact him anyway over his ticket for next season.

B

Bob Hornegold

Ron,

I have a book called Pike and Coarse fish written by Cholmondley-Pennell.

It has a little Hand Written dedication by the author on the back inside cover.

Its a really tatty book, I found in a junk shop.

Quite an interesting book to read.

Bob

S

swordsy

Barrie Rickards Fundamental principles 1st(x2) was my last purchase very good as well, anyone else got it?

Any chance of a signing?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Why 2 Lee? Its collectors such as you who are driving prices up for those who actually want to read the books not drool over them! ;-)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's one idea to get your books signed.

A number of times I've been sent books in the post, complete with prepaid return envelope. The book owner has previously contacted me to ask if it was okay to send the book.

Obviously you need to know the author's postal or email address, but usually a phone call to a publisher (magazine or book publisher the author writes for) will do the trick once the publisher has asked permission of the author to give it out.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I've got Phil Smith and Stef Horaks new book which is signed by phil smith.
This book has been in my car for around 2 months because it's a good read, and whiles away the blank spells sat behind buzzers. I had just taken it out of the car to go crucian fishing, where i would be watching a float all day ,and both the men in question turned up.
It's back in the car now, just in case lightning strikes twice.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Michael, apart from the time you were reading the book!?

I've never taken anything to read with me fishing after the time I had my rod pulled in on the Swale by a Barbel(later retrieved by swimming) when reading the AT.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Thats when the baitrunner comes in handy.
I've been taking a leek on the Trent before when barbel fishing, and realised i've not engaged it.
You don't half get a spurt on !

S

swordsy

Good idea that graham! I had thought about it but considered it a bit cheeky.

S

swordsy

Having a bad run on ebay as of late lost out on my last 6 or 7 auctions due to that sniperware!