Brolly Recommendations

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Guys

I ran over my old Fox brolly last back end and need a replacement.

I am looking for one without a centre pole but do not want anything too bulky in the overnight shelter type mode.Do they make Brotels anymore I wonder?

Thanks in anticpation.

Muffin

Reaction score
Korum Shelters and Umbrellas

http://www.tackleup.com/umbrellas.htm

Have a look at the korum ones, I know they have a 'middle pole' but this can be removed this giving more room underneath.

I have a korum brolly but have still not worked out how to do this yet, so might be worth a look in a shop just incase Its not what you are looking for!

The Korum products are strong but lightweight, so might fit the bill. These are the only thing I can think of Nigel that might be of any use.

Simon

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The day shelter is good, No pole and i have used it at night, no doors, so it's no good for all night sessions in winter.

I got one for my sons to use when fishing late in Summer, Autum, you can get a bedchair in it as i found out when using it for all night sessions during the summer.

You may want to have a good look around, there are some good deals going, and so many on the market.

cam clearie

Reaction score
i to have a korum day shelter brilliant bit of kit.i have had brotels and i am not going to knock them .I know the designer of the brotel amongst other pieces of tackle his name is reg and he is a diamond .Reg in fact also designed the fox ultra which was legendary.Alas the ultra ceased to be made when reg and fox fell out .I am afraid reg also fell out with the original makers of the brotel he tells me the quality went down ,not his choice at all and he refused to put his name to it and withdrew the licence.He tells me his new brotel will be marketed real soon although he actually has retired, and he showed me a prototype and the quality of the new material ...brilliant really well made and very heavy duty.AND IN MY MIND THERIN LIES A PROBLEM .The original brotel to me scored because it was so lightweight and had the rear panels to let air in.They might not of lasted more than a few seasons but you hardly knew you were carrying them .So i feel the new brotel is to well made and will be to heavy due to the real quality material .i could be wrong but reckon the korum one is a lot lighter ....So if weight is not an issue say if you use a trolley then yeah the new brotel looks like it will last donkeys years but if like me you like to travel light and use a brolly more often on cold days to keep the wind off ,more than rainy days when you are not there then either buy the korum one or just get a cheap nylon thing ......

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Wouldn't go any where near a TFG shelter of any kind, I know so many who have had them, and everyone has said the same, Rubbish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't go any where near a TFG shelter of any kind, I know so many who have had them, and everyone has said the same, Rubbish.

All I can say is all the TFgear tackle i've had has been great and that includes a force 8 bivvy. I think their clothing is much better than other fishing companies also. Their service is top notch and if you do have a problem they don't quibble or argue they either replace it or refund your coin, which is a refreshing change from many companies who have no after sales service worth mentioning.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a Korum Stormshield recently and I have been really pleased with it.

It's an Umbrella with side flaps and comes with a couple of storm poles. You can peg it down like a bivvy and then remove the centre pole, giving a large usable area that is both stable and protected from the sides. It's not anywhere near as heavy as a bivvy but a bit heavier than a brolly.

The only improvement that I can see, is that it should have been supplied with screw in storm poles, though this isn't the end of the world, as the flaps can also be pegged down.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
All I can say is all the TFgear tackle i've had has been great and that includes a force 8 bivvy. I think their clothing is much better than other fishing companies also. Their service is top notch and if you do have a problem they don't quibble or argue they either replace it or refund your coin, which is a refreshing change from many companies who have no after sales service worth mentioning.

TFG's tackle is fine, but the shelters not IMO. I had two friends buy the force 8, the quick pop up bivvy, good size, but what a load of rubbish. Always took 100 times longer to put the thing away than put it up. After 6 months the thing started to fall apart,

The pop up day shelter was the same, but worse on wear as it got holes start to appear around the feet. and not from miss use, more like rot

quickcedo

Reaction score
Had a force 8 bivvi for about a year now. No signs of wear, no leaks and I can put it away in about 2 minute.