Preston Method Feeders… Deadly?

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I take it there lead? Might it be a good idea to vanish or paint there underside? Maybe constant pressing in the mould isn’t so healthy… Any thoughts on the matter.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Thanks; for the link, are you worried the method mix could become contaminated by the lead?

Naa, i was thinking about myself and other anglers, I spent the nineties working as roofer, so I’ve had years of handling lead flashings; I suppose it makes me a little cautious these days.

noknot

Reaction score
Naa, i was thinking about myself and other anglers, I spent the nineties working as roofer, so I’ve had years of handling lead flashings; I suppose it makes me a little cautious these days.
I see, in the link it does not state if the feeder is weighted by lead or non toxic, why not send Preston a quick e-mail, I'm sure they will let you know either way;)

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Strange? Even their "Dealer list" has no e-mail:confused:

They obviously don’t want to be bugged with enquiries, a growing trend at the moment. I suppose it reduces costs etc.
I shall just paint the bottoms of my feeders regardless. I think it must be lead; it marks up with a finger nail, and turns your thumbs grey. A bit sloppy of Preston if it is lead, considering the amount of direct contact you have with them during a session. Still a great product though.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I thought all weights below 28grams had to be non-toxic by law.

If they're making the ones below in a shape that is non-toxic it makes sense to make them all non-toxic rather than having to switch mixes, doesn't it?

However, painting them does make for some sense anyway. Are you going to use a camouflage pattern as well? I know the lead is supposed to end up face down, but who knows where it lands!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Well, I said I "thought".

I've had look at mine and it doesn't look like lead to me. Mind you, it's the ½oz one, but a lead one after the length of time I've had this and after it's been in water would take on that white powdery look and this is nice and bright still. So personally, I doubt they are lead.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Well, I said I "thought".

I've had look at mine and it doesn't look like lead to me. Mind you, it's the ½oz one, but a lead one after the length of time I've had this and after it's been in water would take on that white powdery look and this is nice and bright still. So personally, I doubt they are lead.

Ive the 30g and 45g versions, which have gone from slightly shiny to dull, like lead does. And like i said before the metal is soft enough to mark with a finger nail, and grays up my thumbs; I don’t really see what else it could be.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to chew my lead soldiers and I'm OK!!:eek::j:confused:

Even if it is lead, you have to injest lead to cause you damage, my guess is that it needs to be quite a bit too.
If it was that dangerous to health it wouldn't be allowed for public use.
Ask any lead roof stripper, preferably before he falls of the roof with lead poisoning:rolleyes:

noknot

Reaction score
I used to chew my lead soldiers and I'm OK!!:eek::j:confused:

Even if it is lead, you have to injest lead to cause you damage, my guess is that it needs to be quite a bit too.
If it was that dangerous to health it wouldn't be allowed for public use.
Ask any lead roof stripper, preferably before he falls of the roof with lead poisoning:rolleyes:
Nice one Fred! The SM is a roofer PMSL:j