Cooper - pole fishing

austin Simmons

Reaction score
I am a real beginner and have found the imformation on for beginners on fishing magic first class. Could you tell me when the pole fishing guidance is going to begin.

N

NottmDon

Guess a new section on pole would be up to Graham. Having said that mate you can post questions in either the match, coarse or general sections for any info you want. Theres a few pole anglers on here and everyone is willing to help, just ask away! Theres a very basic beginners guide on the following link that gives a gentle intro to pole fishing. http://www.coarsefish.net/pole.htm good luck.

austin Simmons

Reaction score
thank you for your reply and the link. I found it very helpful. I am not sure how to post questions on the "match, course or general sections" Could you possibly supply the HTML link for me. Once again many thanks

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anyone who fancies contributing a pole fishing series please go for it.

N

NottmDon

There just other forums on here Austin, you found this one and posted a question so I am sure you can click on 'forums' and post a question in the appropriate section my friend lol!
Sounds an interesting idea Graham, even Ron the Hat has a pole now so I think we can safely assume that poles are here to stay, even that infernal floating one lol!

L

Laurie Harper

Austin, why not subscribe to one of the monthly magazines or take a look at a few instruction books. It's been around a while now, but I found Tom Pickering's "My way with the pole" a useful intro' when I was getting into pole fishing. The basic principles are pretty much the same - you can pick up any new wrinkles from the mag's. The pole's great fun and a v. addictive way to fish. Good luck.

F

Fred Bonney

When Ron told me he'd bought himself a pole,I thought well if the old bu.... has one, I'll have to try it out.
So I picked a Shimano up cheapish, on ebay and so far, good fun.
Still troubled, on how tight to have the elastic,but working on it.
I'm taking it to Clattercote, to see if it will assist with my blanking experiences there.
Austin,if you mail me with your address I have April's copy of Improve Your Coarse Fishing, which has a few pages on basics by Bob Nudd.I'll mail it to you.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Austin,

As a coincidence I have sent Graham the first 2 articles on Beginning Pole fishing and with any luck we will take the pictures at Clattercote on the 14th.

N

NottmDon

Bob Nudd did a very good book on pole fishing as well Austin, you may well be able to get it from your local library. Its aimed at the beginner and the more advanced pole angler an excellent read. Having read Peters article on whip fishing I would also reccomend it as an exceptionaly good read and you can view it for free on this site. Wish someone had done something I could have understood when I started pole fishing 20 odd years ago! kevin Ashurst certainly started a revolution when he beat the continentals on their own method didnt he? Like father like son they say but in this case its true Benny Ashurst may he rest in peace, was also a great angler and innovator, light years ahead of his time as was/is Kevin.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fred,

The tension on the elastic should be sufficient so that it does not hang limp from the end of the top section, but not so taught that when you pull out a foot or so and let it go that is snaps back into the pole with a loud click.

Use a tensioning device above the bung to achieve adjustments; like slightly softer tension if bites are slow in coming to a tighter tension if the fish are really 'having it'

Like many things in angling this is something that is so much easier to show than to descirbe.

Don, I couldn't agree more about Kevin Ashurst - genius begins to decribe him I think. Although I don't see the same 'talent' in today's top match pole anglers when compared to, say the likes of; Jean Desque, Milo Columbo and Trabucco, except maybe Dave Vincent.
Indeed, if anyone ever gets the chance to sit behind Mr. Vincent then accept the free lesson and simply - enjoy.

N

NottmDon

Both the Vincents are incredible anglers, Dave in particular can make a pole sing. I agree you can learn a lot just watching these guys. I watched Bob Nudd fishing the Trent for a couple of hours and learned more about how to pole fish than any article could possibly have taught me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Don,

Dave came out to Norway to fish 2 matches, one on a river the other on a lake and fished both beautifully.
On the lake day the wind blew half a gale and he fished 14?m of pole for second place with nearly 14 kilos of roach, ide and bleak in a 4 hour match.
Simply magic to watch and one of the few who can equal and beat most of the top Europeans.