koi carp

andy camper

Reaction score
There are 2 koi carp in a little lake local to me you see em swimming around together but they've never been caught. Any tips

T

The Monk

try feeding them on something and try to observe them feeding early morning or dusk, see if anyone else on the lake has caught any, if so from where and what on?

N

NottmDon

If they are recent introductions its possible they will have a taste for fishmeal type baits, if others aren't using them try the Dynamite Marine Halibut pellets or boilies. Maybe a criticaly balanced bait or a pop up would work as most koi are fed on floating pellets.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nishi Koi floating pellets. ?52 per tub. Kois can't resist them.

Getting them on a hook's a bugger though.

N

NottmDon

can always use em to make a paste woody but at ?52 a tub my missus might make me eat it if I bought it!

W

Wolfman Woody

What gets me is if I come home with a bag of boilies, say ?10, that's bad. Come home with a tub of Nishi Koi for the fat sods outside and she says that's fine.

Women? There's no winning with them.

That's a huge tub mind and you can get smaller toffe jar sizes. Getting them out any distance is difficult also, but you can pre-soak them for added weight. I don;t know what it is about them, but my fish clear those before they'll touch the cheaper stuff.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Could it be because thats what they were reared on?

Have you tried them on carp baits ie boilies?

What is in them could you get hold of some of the ingridiants to include in boilies and have you tried them on our normal carp rather than just kois?

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
LOL All my waters are stuffed with KOi LOL

I have never approched Koi any differently to the way I would of fished back in the UK

Pedigree Chum Meaty Bites....they luv em but dont know if you get em in UK great floaters and soft so you can hook em straight out of the pack.....

N

NottmDon

chum mixers we have over here Kiwi and they've always been a good bait for carp. Do the Kiwis like carp or are they considered a pest like they are in Aus? Not a pointed question by the way just interested.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Us coarse anglers luv em but officially a noxious species and illegal to return to a water alive....

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Yupp we get chum mixers too but we now get "meaty bites" our dog discovered em for me LOL

great bait and soft in packet so even better than your plain mixers....
These are marketed as a complete dog food rather than just a mixer biscuit