Lunchtime Musings

F

Fred Bonney

suited me for breakfast ,let alone lunch......nice

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Lovely article that, made even better because its about now, spring, a time when you feel its good to be alive after the dark winter days, and time spent by a river is time well spent isn't it.

Yes it is amazing how we are drawn to water but animals do it naturally of course, our instincts are less well honed but they are still there.

Henry Hall eh! Didn't you have a radio show on the light programme years ago called 'Henry Halls guest night'?

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

HENRY HALL'S GUEST NIGHT? You're showing your age Graham.

Seriously though that's great article Henry.
I love those little rivers and sometimes the fish they hold can be suprising.
I remember little stream me and some friends used to fish many years ago. In a number of places you could jump across it and in others you could walk across without getting your ankles wet but we had loads of chub up to 4lbs and some beautiful roach up to 2lbs from the deeper stretches. It was real jungle fishing and in some spots we had to lay on our stomachs and just push a foot or two of the rod over the edge of the bank and lower a freelined bait gently into the water. As you can imagine there were some heart-stressing tussles with the larger fish but it was the type of fishing that sent you home at the end of the day with an ear to ear grin of pleasure.
Aaaah! Halcyon days.

J

John McLaren

Thanks Henry, you have a wonderful way with words. I really could imagine myself taking that walk, and the time - walks beside water are very special: in the 23rd Psalm David writes "He leads me beside the still waters" - must have been a fisherman as well as a shepherd!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excellent read. For me there is nothing in this world that can take away the problems of the world like the sounds and smells of a river and her valley.

G

Ged

This article reminded me of th title of H Plunkett-Greene's book "Where The Bright Waters Meet". Also of some of the narration from "A Pasion For Angling".
Idealic. Nice article Henry.

J

john conway

All I can say Henry is it was truly a beatiful read and it said everthing to me about being at one with the river.
Thanks

J

john conway

It's just dawned on me, (one and a half bottles of wine makes the brain a wee bit slow), that I recognised the style of the writer so, if you were moved by this article just type in the search box "the old man" and read the article about the old man and jimmy! It will bring a tear to your eye. It's still my favourite article.
Last Christmas after quite a few glasses of home brewed Cumberland Brandy I tried to tell this story to the family and found it very difficult with out shedding a few tears much to the amazement of my sister and nephews who thought I was an hard old git?

Henry Hall Hall

Reaction score
Many thanks for your kind words everyone, it's truly appreciated.

I've passed on the first part of a new story to Graham, so hopefully something else will appear in the near future.

All the best.

HH