Loading reels

N

Nigel Moors 2

Have some 8lb and 10lb Krystonite to load onto my new Okuma Epix free spool reels. Was going to load them as suggested by Julian Cundiff (Ithink or it may have been Paul Garner) in Coarse Fisherman using a bucket of water.

Anyone else used this method? Any tips from other Krystonite users would be greatly appreciated.

L

Les Clark

Nigel ,I always run new line through water ,under tension to load my spool`s ,it lays better than dry ,just loaded krystonite 15 lb a few weeks ago .

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just put mine on dry in 8 and 12Ib had no problems all last season. Its wise to use the bucket of water with braid.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Bucket of water is my usual method too, running it through the eye of the butt section.

Not too sure about that link of Chavenders, the bit about dropping the spool in boiling water set warning bells ringing for me, I've never tried or heard about that before but I would need lot of reassurance about that method before I tried it.

Always willing to learn though.

Peter West

Reaction score
Hi Nigel. Just loaded my line on using the bucket of water method then through half of yellow pages and then through butt ring, but I phoned Krysonite about loading and the advice he gave to load reel was first to put the drum of line on floor and pinch end of line and pull of about two feet off and twist line between two fingers if the line coils more turn over drum and repeat, line should then uncoil and that is the way it should be taken of drum to load properly on to reel, hope this makes sense. Peter

N

Nigel Moors 2

Seen quite a bit written suggesting that this doesn't eliminate it Bryan. Quite often the two spools are different sizes and the larger one will eventually overtake the other and still get twist.

Have done my reels like you say for years and would probably carry on apart from the fact I've these newer larger spooled reels and don't want to stuff up the loading of a line like Krystonite.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Nigel if you use the baitrunner or a sliping clutch you will put twist in your line its all a compramise.

Always said i should live in a block of high rised flats on the top floor could just hang it over the edge and then wind it back onto the reel.