WD40

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Must admit to having a chuckle when I read this press release.

Although I'm a fan of WD40 I've never heard of anyone lubricating their flies before. And your knob, the reel's knob that is.

The term 'gotten' used in the release suggests it originated in America, so perhaps we can forgive the terminology.

D

Deecy

I understand sea anglers use it as a bait spray.There was some feeling that they lubricant is based on fish oil of some description.I know one place it shouldn't be sprayed and that is anywhere with delicate electronics such as bite alarms !

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It depends if your flies are button or zip .......

G

Ged

Could WD40 replace candle wax on rod ferrals? Or would it make them easier to seperate?
I remember the days as a kid and watching the top section of my rod fly off due to loose joint.

E

Eric Hayes

I always spray it on my lures after a session and it?s never done them any arm.

I use it on my reels after a good day on Ribble and their still like new.

like the saying goes:- Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

But ffs be careful on certain plastics though, It can F**K em good style.

P

Phil Hackett 2

I?m told by a Landlord friend of mine, he sprays it on the window ledges in the bogs to stop the smackheads snorting off them. Apparently it destroys the narcotic properties.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I spray my reels with it as soon as I get back from fishing, always have, I can't abide dirty reels. Read somewhere that its perfectly harmless, its not real oil, like yer Esso's and 3 in 1's etc and some fishermen have found it attracts fish and spray it on their lures, would it help fish slip the hook I wonder!

I've found out that its no use spraying it on rheumy joints though, no use at all.

T

Tony Urwin

" I've found out that its no use spraying it on rheumy joints though, no use at all"
Pity that i thought it might be useful on me gout.

B

Bully

I was told by a Simano rep at my local tackle shop to NEVER use WD40 on reels. He said just wash in soapy water, rinse, dry and oil. The reasoning was that WD40 attracts dust particles.

My dad always said the same about his tools and machinery.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I think WD40 contains Menhaden oil which is a killer ingredient of chum in the states. That stuff will bring the fish to you in minutes and seems to send them into a feeding frenzy.
I've tried using WD40 on lures and although I've caught fish I wouldn't like to say it was because of that.
I just wish Menhaden chum and the oil was on sale in the U.K. but when I've enquired about it in tackle shops all I get is negative replies.