Bivvie for under ?100

G

Garry Beesley

I mainly fish sessions of 1 or 2 nights and mainly in the warmer months and would like to upgrade from my cheap tent to a bivvie preferably under ?100. Any reccomendations to get the best for my money? Cheers.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
JRC Roamer Dome ?60 Winter skin ?45 Slightly over your budget but you can get the bivvy then the winter skin later.

It can be fished in a multitude of guise's from open fronted to fully enclosed. Can be adjusted to fit most pegs also. Takes about 10-15 mins to put up as you do have to thread a few tension poles but there are only 3 of them with 2 joints.

The packed up bivvy is around 4 foot tall and fits into the brolly pocket on most 3up3down holdalls.

Hope this helps.

E

EC

Lots of places have these for ?45 now and the overwrap cheaper again, so shop around!

G

Garry Beesley

Thanks to all for the advice - I assume that the new version of the roamer dome is preferable to the old version? and if so how can I tell when buying? (I guess I just have to ask!!)
Bryan - I am based in Herne Bay, Kent.
I also considered the JRC defender - is this as good?

L

Les Clark

Garry ,Im about 4 miles from you in Swalecliffe , try Ashford tackle in Faversham ,good advice ,good deals .
Where do you fish , and what for ?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Shame garry if you were nearer i would have let you borrow mine for a try. Don't know about the Defender. Only have the Roamer Dome and a STi 2 man

G

Garry Beesley

Les - I am a member of Mid Kent Fisheries and mainly fish at Westbere - I will certainly give Ashford Tackle a go. I also use Blean Angling (as it's close to my work) who are very helpfull although a small shop.

Bryan - Many thanks for the offer though! In your opinion would the basic tent without the winter skin be adequate for mainly summer night sessions (up to 2 days)? My main criteria are protection from Mosquito's - reduced condensation - easy to put up and to pack away - resaonable quality and comfort. At around ?45 - ?60 I guess you can't go wrong?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Garry - Condensation could be a problem dependant on the tempature fluctuations with out the winter skin. There is a door but no mossie net. packs away as fast as it goes up. I think this is helped by the long poles with only 2 joints. The groundsheet is removable so if you are on a hard dry standing it can be left out. With regards quality it is excellent. Not as thick a material as my STi but also a lot lighter.

L

Les Clark

Garry ,Im also a member of mid kent and fish in the main the "handle ,Pan and The mill " ,Westbere is a great water and i fished it year`s ago when it belonged to canterbury and district and lately under mid kent ,love it but the access points are the pits .

G

Garry Beesley

Bryan - Thanks for all the advice - am now sourcing a Roamer online and comparing with one or 2 others but you just can't beat personal experience and advice!

Les - I love Westbere being a tench/bream angler in the main but agree about the access points - It's a bloody long way to walk to anywhere in the middle from either end!

Reaction score
Hi Gary Iam the same as you fish a couple of nights at a time in the summer. I have the new JRC cocoon. Its advertized as a one man tent but can sleep 2 so there is plenty of room. Its double skin and have been in it in downpour and was totaly dry. Ive managed to get the missus to come camping with me so it must be ok. It was 79.99 from bennets of sheffield so its in your price range. Had a slight job putting it up first time but have the hang of it now. Hope this helps mate.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'd have a look for a second hand bivvy.

I recently picked up a JRC STI 1 Man and I'm over the moon with it.

It's heavy but very sturdy, fairly quick to erect, no condensation so far and it really keeps the warm air in.

G

Garry Beesley

Trevor - thanks for the advice - I have yet still to buy a bivvy - work constraints have meant that I fished even less than usual this summer!
I am still looking on E-bay for bargains but hopefully should be able to get something in the xmas sales!!
Bryan - handy to know about the roamer - I have now invested in a trolly - the back won't take it anymore!
Matt - The STI1 bivvy is always mentioned as quality - it would have to be a bargain to get in my price range I guess!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I managed to pick mine up for ?50 - used. A cracking price and I'm very impressed with it so far.

G

Garry Beesley

Matt - ?50 was a superb price - I'll keep my eyes open!
Bryan - ?109 is pretty good for new - I haven't come across their site before - R they reliable?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have never ordered large items but have always had a good service. ordered one of the Korda DVD's from them once. Had not arrived after a week. One phone call and i had another delivered the next day with a apology attached. Courier had lost it.