Where to fish around Southam, Warwickshire

Milo

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for tackle shops and venues around Southam in Warwickshire?

I'm going down there on the 20th for two weeks camping and I'm told there is fishing on-site, but it would be nice to have a few other good places to try as well. As I'm away during the closed season, the rivers are out, but I'm interested in canals, lakes, etc. Contact details for any controlling clubs/associations/tackle shops would be fantastic.

Hope someone can help?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Grand Union Canal. Some good bream tench and odd big roach in it. Travel down the Fosse and you will soon find a few spots.

Contact Baileys of Warwick, the best tackle shop in the area.

I used to catch some decent tench in Compton Verney Lakes, also down the Fosse.

If I were in your position however I would spend all my time on Draycote Water trout fishing.

Milo

Reaction score
Thanks very much Ron! I just stumbled across a similar thread about Bishops Bowl Fishery which looks of interest. The G.U.C. is handy, so that's definitely going to be on the cards! I'll give Baileys a ring and see what info they've got available; prices, rules, etc.

First thing I spotted on the map was Draycote, but I'm not a fly-angler... or rather I should say I've not fly fished before? I wouldn't mind giving it a try though but I'd have to rent the gear and have someone show me the ropes...

Roll on the 20th...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Fly fishing is perhaps the cheapest form of angling around.

Once you have got your tackle and aquired the skills. you can sell your catch which will more than pay for your tickets.

I made quite a bit of money selling my catch to local pubs and restaurants when I lived close to Draycote.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Clattercote is not far from Southam, just head towards Banbury about 9 miles on the A423.

Milo

Reaction score
Looks like I should have some good fun on my trip away then! I'm counting down the days now!