First Night Session

Tim Ford

Reaction score
I will soon be embarking on my first ever night fishing session at a local lake and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me or whether there have been any articles written to help assist a first time night fisherman.
All posts would be appreciated.

J

jason fisher

remember to take a torch and some thing to shelter in.

also remember to take about 7 sets of unhooking tools

T

The Monk

I have an old book here called Night Fishing, by Gordon Wood, sadly out of print now but you maybe able to find a copy on the net, it is an excellent read with much of it still applicable today

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just make sure everything is at hand and tidy. When your woken in the middle of the night it helps to instictivly know where everything is then you dont fall over it.

L

Les Clark

Be very careful at night fishing as landmarks ,evan the water edge can be deceptive ,water can look like land ,distance can be misjudged and if you fall asleep and wake up half asleep you could become disorientated .

C

Cakey

most important things..........dont get bored otherwise you might not go again ....................so take a bird or a book or a cd player or a dvd player like what I do

Tarquin

Reaction score
Beware of nocternal fire breathing badgers when you have your final piss for the night.

R

Ryan Whalesby

I was very lucky, in that I had an experianced relative, who was older and wiser than me, and I am sure that that made a huge differance.

Just having somebody there to help makes the differance between having a bit of a laugh...or a lot.. when you fall over in a puddle, at three in the morning, having dragged your sleeping bag through it, and having a complete disaster... trust me I have done both.

I takes a lot of mental discipline to stay a night on your own when you are new to it.

Maybe try just fishing into the early hours under a brolly with a flask or kettle (even august can get chilly during the night), rather than stay the whole night with all the complications of a bivvy.. bedchair etc etc.

I dont mean to put you off, or belittle you in any way, its just there is a real risk of having a visit from the f*** up fairy, and what seems a 'reletively' easy problem during the day, birds nest, snap off, fish weeding you up, becomes a real mental challenge of biblical proportions at three in the morning!.... as I am sure everybody here has experianced...especially if a wee can or two of dizzyade has been consumed.

It took me quite a few regular sessions before I got my 'act together' so to speak, and got the hang of jumping out of a ropey old bedchair, running towards a dodgy old optonic which did or did not work depending upon atmospheric conditions, and actually lifting the correct rod and tightening down the front drag all in one fluid motion!

Best piece of advice is have fun, be safe, dont annoy others and dont take it all too seriously.

Ry

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the replies. Am well looking forward to it now.
Will let you all know how I get on!!!!!

B

Bully

Wind in all rods to ensure a good nights kip.

Dont go with Wol.

C

Cakey

Make sure you know the difference between commons and mirrors

B

Bully

Now that is crap advice Cakey, why should he need to know that for a night session?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

In case he wants to comb his hair ---He doesn't want to be looking into a common ........

S

swordsy

Machete, boot knife, pepper spray (home made), airgun (for man eating rats) all of these are Vital!

I Shit you not!

Go with a mate the first few times, nights can F*ck with your head!

I woke up once covered head to toe with hundreds of earwigs!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
You can always rely on the old earwigs to keep you company, all 3 billion of them.

Nothing worse than a swim thats infested with earwigs, especially as you only discover this when its turned dark.