Do people collect this sort of stuff?

davestocker

Reaction score
She who must be indulged has requested 'lebensraum' for her burgeoning collection of shoes, necessitating a (partial) clear out of my fishing tackle storeroom, within which I came across an ABU Mark 6 Feralite Zoom 13ft. fibreglass match rod in pristine condition. In its day (1972-3) this was one of the top float rods, but for a number of reasons, I don't recall ever getting to use it. Do people collect this kind of stuff, in the same way that there are contemporary collectors of all sorts of modern emphemera? Should it go to the charity shop? Or Ebay? Or to someone visting this forum?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,
Glass rods, both solid and hollow, are becoming more 'collectable' these days. I have a FJT Trotter and a Peter Stone Ledgerstrike in my modest collection.

I'd put it on e-bay instead of the local charity chop myself, but don't expect the sort of prices that split cane commands.

Hope this helps.

davestocker

Reaction score
Thanks, Peter. I overheard a conversation in my local tackle shop a few weeks ago suggesting that even the market in old Hardy/cane game/fly rods had collapsed. it may of course be a blip....

S

Steve King

Glass rods becoming collectable?! Wow perhaps I shouldn't have given my old Bruce & Walker CTM 13 away!

M

mark williams 4

I am told by better engineers than me that glass fibre resins have an unfortunate habit of degrading over time, especially in cheaper rods. The accepted wisdom is not to put them to too strenuous work.
Anything B&W or Hardy fetches good money on Ebay. The most unusual rod I have in my collection is a Max Winters Wand - bet Ed remebers what that was all about.
I have used it, and on the narrower drains, it's just the ticket.

A

Angler Saxon

There's a 131 ABU Mk 6 for sale on Ebay now under Sporting Goods - Fishing - Vintage - Rods. Item number 7154617131. It has over three days to go before bidding ends. The starting price is ?25 but there are no bids as yet.

I know that Hardy Matchmaker rods, in good condition, sell for between ?50 and ?80 a time because I've been monitoring them out of curiosity as I've owned one of these since new (cost me ?16 in 1972) and used it on almost every fishing trip since - no sign of the resins degrading Mark, I landed a 12lb carp with it last month.

W

Wolfman Woody

Big tip with Ebay - take lots of good close-up photographs.

DON'T put the rod on the lawn and take a picture from your bedroom window, if you see what I mean. Take many of different sections, the handle, the logo, the tip, the middle sections etc. Tell people it's never been used and that it's a collectors piece.

IF you put a reasonable starting price on it you should get bids. DON't put a reserve price on it as well, it just pisses bidders off.

A

Angler Saxon

If memory serves, I think ebay has made ?50 the minimum reserve price that can be specified (do check for yourselves) so whenever I bid for something and get "Reserve not met" I know I'll have to pay at least ?50 for the item - most times I lose interest at that point.

W

Wolfman Woody

That's what's so freeking annoying when people say "bidding starts at a low price" and then you find they have put a reserve on it at ?50 or even ?80. The asses don't deserve to sell.