Are we getting to complicated?

ByNasty

Reaction score
I've been reading quite a bit recently about bait making and been thinking a few things through when it suddenly occured to me, am I trying too hard? I think this applies to all styles of fishing not just carping but for instance a recipe with 2oz this 4oz that 1oz of this powder, GLM, betaine, 3 different types of milk protein not to mention liquid foods and flavours is quite a common occurence and yet it is virtually impossible to judge what is working in it due to the immense ammount of variables. I have been thinkin about a 50/50 vitalin/baby mil powder mix with a dash of molasses and a light flavouring on the theory that Vitalin and milk powder are complex enough in themselves and provide the nutrition required. Does anyone else out there think that this is becoming more and more common as fishing, in particular carp and barbel fishing in the media becomes more focussed on the perfect bait (driven by bait companies of course) and less about actually understanding the fish and there environment?

N

NottmDon

sometimes yes. Having said that anglers have been searching for the 'secret' bait since man first cast a line into the water. Bait making is big business but I doubt its all a load of BS or it wouldnt sell and we wouldnt catch on HNV baits etc.Most companies have a good idea of which ingredient does what (or is supposed to do what) and they field test their products before they put em on the shelf. I guess thats why we pay the prices we do for the end product. I still make boilies from semolina, ground rice and soya flour but the extras are supplied by the likes of SBS, Mainline and Richworth and a few others.

Wooly

Reaction score
I think the words you are looking for are too gullible, not too complicated.
More often than not when you see recipes with all sorts of goodies in them you are actually seeing recipes from sponsored anglers who are paid to tell you that a bait needs all sorts of expensive goodies in them. Other examples of this phenomenon are as follows:
1. You must use 10 - 15kg of boilies in a weekends fishing, plus 20 kg of hemp, 3 gallons of maggots and all of this needs product X to be poured all over it.
2. Give em a good (frozen) food bait not readymades.
3. After said session has finished chuck the rest of your frozen (now thawed out and going mouldy) food bait in the lake to give em a taste for next time (if everyone else using said bait does the same wouldn't they already have a taste for it?
All the above have one thing in common when roughly translated - give my boss your money.

Mark P

Reaction score
From the tackle and bait companys point of view it is catch the angler as we are the ones who are stupid enough to spend our hard earned money on stuff that we do not need.

G

Gray Lucas

Keep it simple.I have only been carp fishing for a short while and all of my fish (upto 21lb) have been taken on either sweetcorn or pepperami.Low stress bait selection and cheap!

Gray