RECORD CAT ON CARP GEAR

J

John McLaren

What a tremendous fish its actually heavier than I was before my diet! But what of the future of carp fishing -if "normal carp fishing" tackle includes a Chinese made lure, is this the end of the sport as we know it?

Clikfire

Reaction score
Just what I thought John, never heard of anyone spining for Carp before.

S

sash

Cracking fish but I thought the European record was 202lb caught by Kevin Maddocks?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Although the headline says 'European' the story does say North European.

In other countries they use lures to catch anything that swims, including carp.

Clikfire

Reaction score
That's something new I have learn't today, thanks Graham.

So do people spining for pike / perch in the UK catch carp by accident? Just wondering because I have never seen or had anything like that happen to me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've seen the odd report of carp being caught on lures and deadbaits in the UK.

And it's probably more likely to happen in those countries where the carp are not well fed with boilies and pellets and are therefore more willing to accept alternative foods.

S

sash

Derr, stupid me. As my teacher used to say, read it more carefully! Apologies.

D

David Marrs

What a cracking catfish, a real belting photograph too!

I managed a 19lb+ Carp from the Old Nene about 6 years ago, hooked cleanly in the mouth, it took 2oz Skimmer livebait!!!

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

Seeing that took me back down memory lane, I spent a two week fishing Holiday on the River Weser about 25 years ago in what was then West Germany at a place called Nienberg. I caught a few catfish then but nothing above 5lb, crikey they've grown!

Its a river similar to the middle trent, stuffed with Bream, barbel, Roach, Ahlend, some carp etc.

I had 100lb plus bags almost every day, including 83 roach for 115lb.

A lot of British Soldiers used to fish it, from bases like Bielfeld and Nienberg.

Looks like a new venue for the Catfish boys!

N

nathan james

The lure is not CHINESE, its actually made in thailand. Which happens to be the place where the biggest fish (Giant mekong catfish)in the world come from.
The siamese carp can also grow to weights dwarfing european and british carp.
I have recently become internet operations director for the UK of MANGO LURES THAILAND after seeing this article, and the link to the website http://www.mangolures.com
Ive used mangos previous to this back home(after buying a couple on holiday) on the River Arrow and had great results with pike,perch,zander and even bagging big chub and a lone trout,on a MANGO GUPPY.
These lures are handmade and have an accoustic footprint which gives off vibrations which trigger the fish to strike.

C

Chris Bishop

I've had carp chase lures in summer on a drain I sometimes fish which has them in.

I also caught one on a dead years ago, I've also had a bream on lamprey.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"These lures are handmade and have an accoustic footprint which gives off vibrations which trigger the fish to strike."

In other words,they rattle ???

(was that you that had their posting on maggotdrowners forum edited for advertising????)

N

nathan james

Thanks for your observation.
but unfortunatley no they dont rattle, they are hand shaped so they are not symetrical as is true in everything in nature, nothing is symetrical.
Which most mass produced moulded lures are.
Take a look at the website you might learn somthing.

yes i did leave a message on maggotdrowners
but didnt know it was edited.
thanks.
I will have a peek at that

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have caught loads of catfish on lures and flies. Not the Wels variety but the African type. They don't grow as big as the Wels, but they can provide arm aching battles.

In one large lake I used to fish, you could catch about 5 big cats on the fly for 1 on bait.

We used to use 10 weight outfits with reels holding 300 metres of backing. 18 lbs leaders and big black bushy Woolly Bugger style flies tied on 2 and 1/0 salmon irons.

Fish up to 35lbs were quite common.

I've also taken quite a few big carp on flies, especially when after bass or trout.

One of the most effective ways of catching and attracting the catfish was by clonking or dunking the water in front of you with the rod tip. Most catfish are incredibly inquisitive. I've had them charge and bump my waders on several occasions.

N

nathan james

Graham,

Thats right there is no such site
Mangos url is http://www.mangofishing.com.
If you want one of these there is an ebay shop called the land of smiles,on ebay UK.
you can get them all from there, brand new models including the Black Magic and older best sellers.
If you have any problems finding it please let me know.
Fishing magic members,
As Internet operations director for mango fishing.com which is a small company, I have spoken to the M.D. and we have agreed that it would be good to send out some samples of our products to Top Uk Predator Anglers to test and review and see how good they really are.
Mangos are selling well in Germany, France,USA and Australia but as they are not availiable in UK shops yet, they are not widely known.
If anyone can help or is interested.
please let me know.

Thanks.

captain carrott

Reaction score
So do people spining for pike / perch in the UK catch carp by accident?

i had a mid double about 3 weeks back. hooked square in the mouth on a very small plug while perching.

alan

Reaction score
have the lures ever been tried in the sea around the uk?

im looking for some lures for bass and pollock, and something a bit bigger for using on a boat.

T

tom riordan

I was stationed in Liebenau near Nienburg and can confirm that there are big barbel in the weser, at the time I used to be into sea fishing but used to accompany some of the coarse fishing lads and top bait was chopped up crayfish and strangely lugworm.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
A friend of mine caught a two pound common a couple of winters ago on a small spinner meant for perch. It was hooked neatly in the top lip and had certainly taken the lure as though it meant to eat it. The oddest thing about it was that the spinner must have been no more than six inches below the surface when the carp took as there was a visible swirl.