Spices

Robbie H

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been looking at the Mrs spice rack this morning and wondered how much of these ingredients you would need to use to make a good boilie?
Any ideas guy's? Anyone got any good combinations or recipies?
Nutmeg & cinnamon seems a likely combo, but what levels of each?
cheers

C

Cakey

some of the spicey liquids (bun spice was one of my favs)I used to use 5ml per 6 eggs for winter baits but I used to drop the levels down to 2ml per 6 eggs in summer
never used powders so cant help there

J

jason fisher

best to infuse them in water (or oil)first, then use at similar levels to other liquids.

put em in a pan then heat them till they dissolve. not much liquid needed.

J

jason fisher

they can you just get better integration and dispersal as liquid.

N

NottmDon

I'd suggest you use a low level to start with rather than bunging as much as you would in a fruit cake for example. Ive used chillie powder but couldnt say if I would have caught with or without it! Nutmeg is an hallucgenic(wish I could spell the word) by the way so if there are any hippy carp in your swim it sounds a winner lol! Jasons got the right idea in fact if I were to use dry spices I'd fry them in a little vegetable oil first as you do when making a curry, this not only makes the powder easier to disperse but it release a lot of the volatile oils that remain inactive unless they are released through this cooking process.

N

NottmDon

why not :) Simply because the flavour from a dry spice powder is not comparable to a cooked spice, you can use either but I would expect the fried spices in a little vegetable oil would be far superior and with only a teaspoon or so of oil needed to help the flavours fulfill their potential it may well be worth trying. Of course youd have to allow it to cool and then add it to the eggs in the usual way before your chosen base mix. Just lateral thinking nothing written in stone mate. It may be worth trying out though.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Had first trials last night with garam masalla & garlic. 1/2oz added to basic semolina, soya etc mix.
Boiled for 1.5 mins. Came out pretty well, i think.
Will have to wait and see.

N

NottmDon

As a 'Masalla' is a mix of spices you seem to have picked a good choice. Garam Masala depending on who makes it contains amongst other things crushed black peppercorns which from articles I have read seems to be well liked by carp in its essential oil guise. Sounds like an all natural boilie which you could eat yourself if you dont catch lol! Be interesting to read your follow up when youve had time to give em a fair trial.