Rod Licence

Paul Orford

Reaction score
I must admit that having fished for the last two years and prior to that for 15 years during the 70s and 80s i have only been asked for my rod licence on one occasion.

The Environment Agency has a massive, if not impossible task trying to check who is and who is not fishing with a rod licence.

It has always struck me that fishery owners have a responsibility for ensuring that anglers visiting their waters have a valid rod licence. If they do not, then do not let them fish.

Admittedly some owners will not be keen to eject those without licences as it will reduce their income. However, I am sure that there are many who would put the welfare of the environment and fishing in general before their own profit.

Or am I being naive?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If somebody asked you to do work for them, for nothing on a regular basis, would you do it?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
It's the same arguement as asking tackle shop owner's to check for a valid licence before selling bait ( this was mainly to stop the "fishing for the pot"). It's a good idea in theory but for every shop owner who refuses there'll be 10 that will sell( just think of a the corner shops that sell fags and cider to the underaged when supermarkets don't).With so many fisheries around today people will simply fish where they are not asked for a licence and those that do ask will go out of business.

M

madpiker

i get my licence checked every season,but always in the same place,ie,chew valley lake during the pike fishing event.i`ve been buying an annual rod licence for 35 years and have had it checked only 5 times when fishing on "wild waters".two of these occasions were on the grand western canal,within half an hour of each other!
i`ve been told that the ea have had their govt grants slashed over the last 7 years or so.perhaps it`s about time that the govt funded the ea properly so that they can look after the waters that they lease to clubs etc and be able to police britains waterways properly.perhaps then,the licencing dodging,litter leaving minority,that give us all a bad name,will realise that no licence means a big fine.