Summer Mullet Fish - In.

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I've started a thread on the Sea Forum as to a possible mullet fish in on Christchurch Harbour this Summer to see if there is any interest.No dates as yet as we will need to pick the most convenient tides but was thinking about early/mid July?

alan

Reaction score
some people say yes to eating and some say no.

ive tried it, nice firm white flesh, just a little on the strong side.

most people put them back because of the time it takes them to grow.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"most people put them back because of the time it takes them to grow."

I wouldn't worry too much about that. They're pretty prolific around our coasts mainly due to being too difficult to catch on rod and line and too close inshore for the nets.
They're a good eating fish and keeping the odd one for the pot isn't going to effect their numbers. Seems strange that all bass that get caught seem fair game for the pot when it takes 20 years for them to reach 10lb.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Guys, it's a fish in not a fish out :)

Graham LOL - it would be nice to see you.

alan

Reaction score
Frank, i have eaten 1, and will probably eat another. ive seen some huge shoals(fish up to 3 feet long) although a fish of 2-3lb is big enough for the table so anything bigger would go back.
i was just pointing out that most people catch them for sport, and dont like the idea of people eating them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have eaten them also.In texture they are excellent but as Alan says can have a strong flavour depending on I think where they have been feeding.I suspect that the ones we see in our fishmongers are caught in offshore nets.I wouldn't want to eat a mullet that had been rooting around some sewage outfall pipe as they have a tendency to do.

I wouldn't take a fish I had caught out of respect for the great sport they give.I accept this is illogical given that I have eaten them when caught by others but there we are.

Now if you promise to leave the recipe books at home, does anyone fancy coming along?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The fish or the fish-in?

A bit of a schlep Lee, but plenty of nice B+Bs Lee & of course the Royalty 5 minutes away.

Mullet in the morning & Barbel in the afternoon & all on the float.Fishing bliss!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm interested of course. Stanpit has its pros and cons as far as mullet are concerned. Sometimes the very bottom end of the Stour is better, at Wick and Tuckton. There are coarse fish there as well of course, more roach and bream but less dace. Day tickets are available for some of the Stour there at ?6 rather than ?3 in the Harbour. In the harbour there are both size and bag limits for bass and mullet but I put them back. Certainly the Stour involves much shorter walks than the Harbour, less than fifty yards in places as opposed to about a mile. There will be an article on Thursday regarding a different way of catching the mullet there.

Tide states and boat traffic affect the fishing a lot here so will have to check these out.

T

Tony Urwin

I would be interested it would be a change from the Medway Mullet and Sun Pier.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Nigel,

I'd love to, but it's just too far for me.

I had a go for them in Christchurch harbour when I was on holiday in August and had a cracker of 6.14 to trotted breadflake. Took me bloody ages to land it on a light match rod.

Definitely one of the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thats a relief Gary as you would empty the place LOL!

It is bit of a long way for you but if you are ever in the area again give us a shout.

Cracking fish by the way.

I've not been fishing for them long but totally addicted.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Certainly the Stour involves much shorter walks than the Harbour, less than fifty yards in places as opposed to about a mile."

A mile bloomin 'eck, not for me I'm afraid if its the harbour unless there are rickshaws for hire. 50yds and on the Stour to boot, now that does interest me, are there decent size roach and bream that far down Mark, as well as the mullet of course, fishing with bread I suppose you would be getting a variety

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Dont be put off by Wintle.He gets the shakes if he fishes anywhere else but the Stour.

Its a walk, but not a mile & dont forget you only need one rod a bucket of mash & a few slices of bread!None of this 10 tonnes of method mix nonsense!

If we can persuade Peter to come you can get a lift on his tackle truck :)

Even better we could get some punts booked.

G

Gary Knowles 2

I will Nigel thanks.

But I can't see me getting down there again for a while

alan

Reaction score
if it is a river, does that mean i will need a license and fresh water gear?

Nigel, you would be much better off eating 1 you caught your self, then eating 1 that was caught by a trawler, along with half the seabed destroyed and up to 70% of the trawler catch put back dead due to being the wrong type of fish etc.

Yacko

Reaction score
I'd give it a go, but it's a long drive for me. Must be at least 4 or 5 miles.
Yacko