Why Rivers not Lakes?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Why has the close season been kept on rivers and not lakes?
Is it purely financial or don't fish spawn in lakes?
I know fish spawn at different times of the year, so why don't the owners enforce their own closure as soon as they see the fish spawning.
Seems purely financial to me, which is very hypocritical, as they vigorously enforce their own fishery rules, to protect the fish!

B

Bully

At the end of the day technically rivers cannot be owned by anyone, and therefore the EA decide to have a close season. Lakes can be privately owned.

Not sure if this is the technical / legal reason, but I am pretty sure that, while you may own land through which a river flows, the actual river is "owned" by the state.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Probably because the spawning shallows are small, vulnerable areas, and there would just HAVE to be one or two obligate self-abusers per river who would wade all over the eggs of every barbel and chub for tens of miles if they thought they could up their p.b.
Personally, I'd prefer a spring wading ban.
And possibly site-specific close-seasons to protect known spawning areas.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure if it doesn't have something to do with the old game angling laws as well.
I could be wrong.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Once again I'm not sure, but I think lakes and canals were up to the clubs that run them if they had a close season or not. (not state owned)

C

Cakey

its stranger than that half of the river lea/lee is closed the other half is classed as canal and is open !

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is something similar to that on the river Weaver Cakey, where the river opens into a kind of lake. The river runs into it and out of it but is closed, while the lake part is open.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Baz, Is the lake part of it privately owned? Is the lake part, classed as a lake? If not, they are surely minipulating the rules for financial gain!

My point is, that if commercial fisheries or lakes remain open, it is purely for financial gain. If they care so much about their fisheries i.e net dips, no keepnets, barbless hooks etc, etc, why don't they close the lakes when they see the fish spawning? Carp go crazy in the margins and other areas, there's no way they could plead ignorance. The truth is, they would lose hundreds, if not thousands, by closing and protecting their fish for a few weeks!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A club leases the lake part Steve, and the river its self.
To be honest there has allways been some debate about the lake part staying open.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Surely a lake by definition has to be land locked, but then again, it needs to have a water source or does it?

Differing interpretations of the rules, to keep members happy, is suspect!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, it isn't classed as a lake as such, it only looks like one. I think it's called a flash.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am undecided about the close season on rivers. As of now I would keep a close season on some smaller rivers.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Too much rules and regs Baz, vague definitions!

Jason said there is no argument to support a close season!

It's bad enough when the kids come into the bedroom and catch you, can you imagine getting dragged out of the bedroom cos you got the munchies.

Why can't we just leave the fish alone for a few weeks?

Rivers and lakes!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am only thinking of the rivers in my area mate. The smaller ones could do with a break, but that's only my oppinion, maybe it should be a regional choice.
The same as when fish are spawning in different areas of the country, clubs could close parts of rivers, canals, lakes down for a week or two. It's their choice, they make the rules on the stillwaters.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most clubs have water keepers etc, it would be easy enough for them to inform their own club when and where the fish are spawning.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it's like you said mate, the clubs either can't be bothered, or it would cost them too much spawnduli. hahaaaaaaaaaa.

P

Phil Hackett 2

The EA are looking at the rivers close season from a scientific point of view to see whether there is any evidence for or against the retention of the close season. The project is to run for 3 years after, which a report will be issued and probably a consultation exercise on the findings to judge anglers views on it. Followed by a final decision.

You must remember that a rivers close season is contentious and divisive issue and both sides have defenders and detractors of the debate.

Only the water in the river is owned by the sate, each landowner owns the land under the river to the halfway point.

The creatures that inhabit the water are owned by no one and classed as wild.

M

madpiker

in somerset most of the drains and rivers flow through sssi areas and some are classed as nature reserves(huntspill etc)english nature will never allow these waters to open during the spring when birds are nesting etc.you only have to look at the restrictions during the feb pike dates at chew,vast areas of the lake out of bounds,due to english nature and nowt that bristol water can do.personally,i`d like to see canals shut again,then at least the muppets amongst us couldn`t use the excuse,"i thought the river was a canal"!