Angling Times Again!!

M

Mr. Uncredible

In May 10th issue Des puts his side of the story about syndicates and big fish piccies,publicity etc.

Then he drops in a little pop at the internet forum users when he refers to 'especially you sad people who spend all night stuck in your bedroom writing rubbish crap on the internet when you could be fishing'.

Is he right? Or is this another Des rant intended to get some backs up?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No he's not right, not by a long chalk he's not. Guys who have families can't just up and go fishing whenever the notion takes them, they have responsibilities, and if they have any sense at all they will put their families before their fishing. If their wives decided to go out clubbing every time the notion took them, leaving them babysitting, they would be the first to moan.

Then theres the financial side of it a to take into consideration, petrol is a hell of a price these days and I know that if I go fishing it will cost me on average a tenner just for petrol. Add to that what you spend on bait plus the price of day ticket as well and you are talking in the region of ?20 to ?25 per session minimum, three or four times a week and it then becomes serious money for the average earner.

Its all well and good us people that can afford it and don't have a young family to rear saying get out more but it ain't quite as simple as that.

Anyway, I think Mr Taylor is a bit like our Ron, he just writes things to wind the readers up.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Des phoned me a couple of days ago and let's just say that, like our Ron, he likes to cast his bait upon the waters and wait to see if he gets any bites...

He's not a bad angler in every sense of the word.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Lets see what my weekend on Rutland cost.

Fuel for 160 miles round trip - ?14.00
Accomodation - ?25.00
Food - ?12.00
Two days on boat sharing - ?58.00
Odds and Sods - ?10.00

Total: ?114.00

I know people who blow that amount on pubs, clubs and football matches on a weekend.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And no I wouldn't be able to afford a trip like that too often if I had a family and a missus.

But at my age and single.

Can't take it with me.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I see Maths wasn't a strong subject of yours Ron .......

njb51

Reaction score
maybe its a made up kind of maths that only ron knows and so therfore is very good at it!

ByNasty

Reaction score
I read Des's article and I think he was more havin a poke at the people that slag him off every time he expresses his opinion. I don't agree with a lot of what he says normally but I do agree with his comments on the publicity side of things. After all, if he can't express his opinion whether people like it or not, than we shouldn't be able to either, and how many of you guys wouldn't be on this forum if you weren't allowed to give your views?
Opinions are like a***holes, everybody has one but most people don't want to hear them!

W

Wolfman Woody

Ron's doing Chinese take-aways.

Sad? of course we are, but even without a young family I can't afford to go fishing every other day. What Ron blew on a weekend would have to last me three months at least.

M

Mr. Uncredible

....'Des phoned me a couple of days ago and let's just say that, like our Ron, he likes to cast his bait upon the waters and wait to see if he gets any bites... He's not a bad angler in every sense of the word.'

Graham, you're right. In fact he's what I'd call a bllody good angler, saw one his freshwater videos about barbel fishing and he does strip things back to basics more than some. Perhaps that goes for use of the english language?

Woody - 'What Ron blew on a weekend would have to last me three months at least.' PULL THE OTHER ONE!!!!

Also agree with G.W about the family side of things and expense. My kids are now 19 and 16 (good God, they'll be 20 and 17 this summer - am I that old?) and my time for fishing is now much more readily available. What's more when they were very young, money was tight and I worked 6 - 61/2 days a week my missus didn't appreciate me taking off for what remaining time was left. Much like many others I suspect.

M

Mr. Uncredible

I too think he was having a poke at those who tend to slag him because he is an easy target. I posted this thread to see how many of us agreed with him that we were sad bedroom internet posters??

B

Bill Cox

He gets slagged off because he writes the same old crap week in week out and he feels threatened by the growing influences of the net, and by the fact that we would rather be on here and other sites then reading his crap every week.

B

Bill Cox

And its because he is struggling to write anything original that he has to resort to the cheap tacky jibes and contravertal stuff.

E

Des used to have his own website and weekly on-line news letter which you could subscribe to

He's alright is Des --- He just likes winding people up!!

E

And, he is probably laughing his cock off at people getting upset about what he says .......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

OK you lot I can't add up

?119.00

Give me hassle for a couple of quid.