Best Lines for Stickfloat

J

john ledger

Most of my fishing is done on faster moving rivers and streams(stickfloat) and i must admit i tend to stick to tried and tested lines ie Bayer Green Force and the one i use at the moment Climax.My reel lines are usually 2lb max unless chub fishing then its 4lb max.
If a line twists or kinks as i thread through my runners i will not use and wondered if any lads from FM have tried any of the new lines.
I will not use swivells and only use Force for hooklenghs due to fact its strong and does not twist. I will not use prestretched line or flou carbon because they dont work in fast water. Once made the mistake of buying Water Queen line a few years ago after all the hype and found it the worst line i ever used.Maxima is ok but never ever the dia stated
Is there anything good out there at the moment,will be interested to hear

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Force, now theres a blast from the past. I used that all the time on the river years ago but only as hook lengths never tried it as a main line. You are right John, its a cracker of a line I just thought they finished yonks ago, is it still readily available? I used a lot of 1lb hook lengths in those days and very rarely got broken with Force, wonderful stuff.

In those days I always used the Daiwa mainline, the one they used to do on the black spool, no longer available, the best stick float main line in the business, and I've never found anything to equal it.

Bayer Perlon takes a bit of beating as a mainline I reckon but I use the Preston Powerline on my closed face reels round the 5lb b.s. because of its low diameter and Powerline hooklengths as well.

J

john ledger

Graham
You have made my day because i thought i was getting an old stick in the mud.Force is the best line i have used and i do know the great Midland anglers swore by it.also used Daiwa but like you say you dont see it anymore.
To be honest i do not know if they still make it ,think they do. when i see it i usually buy a few spools. have used Drennan float line which is also pretty good.
Amazing that you like myself only use Force on hooklenghs

L

Laurie Harper

Force is tough stuff, all right, but it is a lot thicker than the stated diameter, hence the fact that it breaks at much higher strains than you'd expect. I find Silstar (now Clarke's) Match Team or Preston powerline good modern hi-tech lines for hooklengths (and reel lines if treated gently on the strike) which have some stretch and don't break if you look at them.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No, Daiwa don't do that line anymore tho they do do one on a black spool, it was stopped in '95 I think what the hell for I don't know. I can never remember what it was called.

Dave Harrell put me on to it and the Force hook lengths.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've been using sufix magic touch line and its been very good ,its a low stretch line
and is very supple ,i've been using it at 3lb (0.14)and i've not had any line twist problems,and i've had it spooled on one of my abu 506's and my centre-pin,i was given a couple of spools by a freind as i said i
was changing my line due too a bad lot of
maxima line snapping like cotton and which
wasn't like maxima of old.check it out :-
Sufix line

(ps.john the rods been great went fishing
for tench from the canal and caught 2 chub)

J

john ledger

reason i started thread is because i do not believe half the tackle dealers have a clue on lines and will sell anything. If its not a pole set up they are clueless and even think some tackle dealers should take a look at themselves.Correct line set up is so important for varoius styles of fishing and its not always the more expensive lines that are good

Matt Brown

Reaction score
John I agree. Tackle dealers only know about Commercial Fishery style fishing or Carp fishing - there's the odd eception of course.

That's because that's how 90% of anglers fish.

Unfortunately products are therefore design for aimed at those markets.

Anyway, I still use Bayer Perlon, but I would rather use something finer and with a little less stretch (to help hit the bites).

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Theres nothing stopping you using braid for stickfloat fishing you know, some of the smaller breaking strains are ideal and most of them float. I always meant to try it but never got round to it but one of these days....

K.A. used to be a big advocate of it I remember, the only problem I can see is using finer hooklengths might need a very gentle touch. I have some very small swivels that weigh the same as a No 8 shot that would be ideal in lieu of a knot to join them up. Its hard to remember not to strike when that float stops or sinks but I guess you would get used to it very quickly.

J

john ledger

Graham
I have always been put off from using Braid because i have heard it wears your guides. Have used small swivels but cannot get on with them

J

john ledger

Matt
One line that could well suit you is Climax which is a silver line and at 4lb bS is the same dia as most lines at 2lb. I have used it for the last 18months at 2lb 4lb and 6lb and its been ex. The only place that supplies it is Weymouth Angling.
Heard all about your big catch with Mike well done mate,i can see i am going to have to do some serious angling to keep up with you two. If you need tel no of Weymouth let me know