Record Fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rather than have this 'cluttering up' the thread on the latest record Crucian Carp claim I'm starting a new thread.

This latest potential record has one thing in common with most of the latest records. It was caught by a carp angler.

And before anyone sticks their oar in with a knock at carp anglers - don't! It's not their fault that their standard method and bait is catching most species.

But I wonder just how long it will be before almost every coarse fish on the list has been caught by a carp angler.

Not that it matters too much if, like me, you believe the main function of the list is to present a true record of the fish rather than the captor.

Some time ago I wrote an article in Coarse Fisherman magazine about the 'standard method and standard bait', in which I commented on how many big fish of many species are now caught on bolt rigs and boilies.

That trend is apparent in the record fish list, as well as the trend that shows carp anglers are catching an increasing number of records of all species (the two obviously go together).

I reckon there's a good chance we'll do the job for the antis in years to come, for there will be so little variety in coarse fishing we'll be bored to bloody tears and pack it in.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It all depends of course how you value a record. Any record fish is a statement of how big that speceis will grow. It's certainly got nothing to do with the angling ability of the person who catches it.

Fish hold the records not anglers.

Certainly, carp anglers are going to catch a lot of big fish of other species. First, they are fishing waters that contain very large fish of species other than carp and secondly, they are spending an enormous amount of time on those waters with a baited hook in the water.

The law of averages means that they are going to catch something very big other than carp given enough time.

But the ordinary angler should not worry.

In well over 1/2 a century of fishing I know what gives me most satisfaction and it's got nothing to do with catching record fish.

Bored to tears? Not me. There is always something different in our sport to contemplate and there is always some other mountain to climb.

Forf me these days it's more about HOW fish are caught rather than WHAT is caught.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I have to say that I get a bit frustrated by not being able to fish my club waters during the present close season when I know dam fine that the Bream and Tench will be at a very high weight.

Yes I know they are carrying spawn and all that,,,,,,,but I can't help myself being a bit green with envy for the guys who are out there catching them.

Doesn't make me a bad bloke does it?