Mcf rattler

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I have just recieved some rattlers and set them up on my pod in the front room they dont seem to be any different to normal hangers.

I am sure i set them up correctly but they have to have some tension on the line to register drop backs.

I am hoping they will act differently in a actual fishing situation.Has anyone used these and what did you reckon to them?

I will report back on sunday after my session.

O

Ozz

I think it has something to do with the double line clip, but I can't really see how they would act any differently to any of the other hangers except for the increased tension.

Steve Masterman

Reaction score
Hi!
I use these indicators, and yes there must be "some" tension to register dropbacks. The reason these work is that unlike normal hangers you are not suspending a weight from your line but you are ballancing the indicator in an upright position and thus the closer it gets to the point of balance the less tension it needs and the slacker your line will be. The trick is to set them up correctly and the slacker you want your lines to be the more difficult it becomes( not that it difficult you cant just clip them on. The method I use is to clip them on when there is a nice bow in the line an I know that the rig tube or leadcore plus a foot or two of mainline is sat on the bottom. I attach them past the upright position as if they were leaning towards my alarms then slowly wind my spool round with my fingers to take up the slack line between the reel and indicator thus pulling the bobbin to just past the upright position. Like anything the more you do it the intuative it becomes.
I feel they offer significant advantages over other indicators, there are also a couple of details that need to be adressed ie. the screw/bolt that retains the indicator arm to the mounting needed to be a thumb screw and not a slotted screw/bolt and I feel that there is to much foward movement past the upright position causing an initial run or liner not to be then registered as a dropback if you catch my drift. These are both easily remadeed but for the price they should have been done already.
Are they worth the money! head says probably not heart says almost definatley.

What Colour did you get?

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I went for clear. In the photos the clear is only shown as a spare body i didnt realise the thread for the line clip was going to show through!

I have also noticed that the ball line clip isnt solid stainless and has not been completly sprayed leaving a dull galvanised look on the arms.

But i am sure (fingers crossed) the will be worth every penny.

Steve Masterman

Reaction score
On a side note, I was not converting runs to banked fish, this seemed to be happening on a regular basis and in desperation changed a few things,the two things that made the difference were changing hooks from esp G 6s and 8s to korda widegapes and changing from hangers to rattlers. I cant say if I am getting more runs but what I can say is that since changing I have dropped one fish in about twenty runs. maybe this is luck or the hooks are a bit better or maybe that the fish is not ejecting the hook because it doesn't feel the line tension straight away using the rattlers. The one thing I can say with sertanty is that I have never fished with total confidance, until now.
Perhaps I should start a new thread but for what its worth on a confidance note I have started using enterprise artificial sweetcorn suprisingly good results.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Got back lastnight the rattlers were puckka easy to set up no carp unfortunatly but i had 11 bream to test them out on.
I was using the new atomic helicopter leads with a very short hooklength.
I had three dropped runs. I could tell by the way the rattlers were moving that as soon as they felt the lead they were dropping the bait. I lengthened the hooklink problem solved dont think i would have realised that without the rattlers. Very impressed!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I have been using using enterprise sweetcorn,fluoro maize,maggots and dog biscuits for ages always had good results with their baits either on their own or with real baits to critically ballance or pop them up.

I had very good results with a large fluro maize and 2 rubber maggots on the hair.

Steve Masterman

Reaction score
Nice one, The carp seem to spawning at the moment on our local waters, Small baits in the margins Have worked for me.
I look foward to the day my rattlers are the defining factor in determining a flaw with my terminal tackle, not that want my current good fortune to end! but to be able to say they were worth the extra ?'s.