Rod tips up or down when on rod pod ?

b16jus

Reaction score
Should your tips be higher or lower than the butt when on a rod pod ?

also is there a way of securing the pod down ? as im new to carping im scared or either having the baitrunner too tight and loosing a rod etc or too loose and getting the reel in mess.

thanks

b16jus

Reaction score
its a nash h gun 2 rod pod

does the type of pod make a difference ?

mol

Reaction score
You generally only fish rod tips up when there is weed infront, as you want to try to keep your line out of the weed as it reduces the senstivity, or when fishing a river with a strong flow.

If you want to secure the pod then use a bungee cord round the pod and secured to the floor with bivvy pegs, although generally speaking this ins't necessary.

noknot

Reaction score
Nice reply Mol,

Just so add high tips are also good if your swim has snags, rocks ect in the margins. Yes the type of pod can make a difference, if it's a licght weight standard pod, it's more likely to be pulled over than a heavier SS goal post style! If in doubt, peg it down and use butt grips to stop the rod moving on the take.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Oh, and by the way, welcome to FM Guy's:w

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have stopped using my pod because the rods stick out too much from the end my technic is to have the rest with the alarm on very small so the end of the rods are either in the water or pointed at the lead as straight as possible this has the aded advantage of being swan proof ,I think they think I am there friend since I am down at the lake so often.
The back rest is a around a foot higher .
I do the same with my pod when I do use it it means that the front two feet are over the bank in the water as a way of getting the corect angle .

I don't like the tips of my rods hanging over the water 4ft and I know you can mount a pod further away from the bank to prevent this but it's much easier to just get those tips into or just off the top of the water .

The essential probelm with pods is you can't make your rods face were you are fishing unless you always fish two baits next to each other far out ,its just so much more flexible to have two bank sticks per rod .

(In my opinion )

However I have found it can add to the bolt rig if you fish at ninty degrees to the rod and don't often miss a run when set up this way .