New Venue tips

G

Gareth McSherry

I hav't fished much in the past five years and recently got the urge again. I'm from Ireland and am planning to fish a small lake that I havn't fished before.
It has a good stock of Bream,Tench, Rudd and Roach and is only about 2 Hectares is size.
Whats my best bet to start catching again ? I was going to use a Waggler with maggot and sweetcorn and groundbait of Bread crumb, is there anything else that would hedge my bets on an unknown lake ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
With a good stock I'd pile in some cheap bait for a few days Gareth. Something like mashed bread and pigmeal, corn, etc. And then fish it with worm and bread on float if you can reach them okay, or leger if not.

G

Gareth McSherry

Thanks for the quick reply. I might go down tonight and tomo evening and throw a few balls on crumb and sweetcorn in as i wont be fishing till saturday morning.

Ergo

Reaction score
Chuck in loads of cooked hemp. THen sit and watch the watch for a bit. If the water seems to fizz, you have fish moving over it and having a go at it.

You could try fishing jelly pellets over the top and see what happens.

Terry Parsons

Reaction score
worms are always a good idea, especially in the margins.cut a lob in half and hook both ends onto a size 10 hook.tench will go mad for worms.feed over a groundbait which includes caster and chopped worm.if worms don't work switch to maggot or bread flake as another option