Mark's May Day mullet

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Interesting piece, Mark. Like you, I've read about the technique and have seen the John Wilson programme, and like you I was inspired to give it a try for my local Medway thinlips. I tried unbaited mini-Mepps and baited versions on light spinning tackle, and streamer-flies on fly tackle - all without a single take, pluck or follow. I suspected the lack of interest on the part of the mullet was due to their low numbers in the river (we get nothing like the shoals that show in and around Christchurch Harbour, for example). In truth, my lack of belief and commitment doubtless played a part, too (I didn't persevere).

Inspired by your article and experiences, I plan to try again.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for some feedback. After today's deluge the weather should pick up after Tuesday with temperatures of 21c by next weekend. If that does happen then it will be time for another go.

Mark

F

Frothey

most of the mullet fishing down my way (at least in the taw estuary) seems to be with baited mini-mepps. something i really have got to try this year as i know where they are.....

Yacko

Reaction score
Hello Mark,
I've had a few goes fishing Xchurch harbour this month, walking down from Stan Pit. I tried spinning but had no luck, didn't attach a ragworm though. I did get a few small bass and a 12oz flounder legering rag. I dug the harbour rag, messy job. I might have one last go with a baited spoon.
Regards Yacko

Karl P

Reaction score
where abouts in devon u from then frothey u near illfracombe