Hook Size?

Tony Campbell

Reaction score
What size of hook would be used to hair rig a 10mm pop-up boilie?

Is there a rule of thumb to go by? Went fishing for carp on friday, got a nice common at 10lb 5oz. Got lots of runs as well, but none of them connected( they were definately runs, they took 20-30 ft of line in some cases). I assume the carp were able to blow the boilie back out again. I was using a hair rigged size 10 kamazan animal hook. Any reccomendations as to hook types and sizes?

L

Les Clark

Tony ,If they where running 20-30 ft I would have thought that its not a case of blowing the bait back , not like picking the bait up and then blowing it out (spooked by the rig )maybe your hair is too long ?

Tony Campbell

Reaction score
Hi Les,
I had the hair rig set so that there was about 6-8mm between the bottom of the boilie and the bottom of the hook. What would be the ideal distance between the boilie and the hook? Does it vary depending on boilie size, and or, hook size?

L

Les Clark

Tony ,I would say that the size 10 hook to a 10 mm boilie is about right .
Looking at your last posting ,maybe your boilie is to tight to your hook ,open it up by another 4 m ,but saying that at the moment I am useing Kamasan trout hooks size 10`s which are smaller than Kamasan animal hooks size 10`s ,it`s a case of trying all hook sizes .

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tony,
I'd agree on the size 10 being about right, were you using a semi-fixed lead? if so try uping the size to set the hook on the take. Other fish may have been responsable though as chub for example like to pick up baits in their lips and not take the hook into their mouths, just a thought.