Carp rigs

• Thread starter The Seeker of Truth & Justice
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Every time I read a carp magazine theres at least one article in it about a new rig.
now can there be so many rigs for carp that all do something diferent than the rest or are most of them just bullshit?
was it jim Gibbinson who said that most carp rigs you read about never got wet. in other words theyre mostly in the inventors minds and have never been tried.

P

Philip Inzani

I think many rigs are invented to resolve an alledged problem with a previous rig.

There is only so much you can do with a hook and a bit of line. I think the next big breakthrough (big like the hair) could be something to do with the hook....I mean its not exactly a modern invention is it.

S

Stuart Bullard

Now Philip, I have been known to have weird and wacky ideas, especially when I used the hemp seeds for something other than pre-baiting!! However even I cannot begin to imagine something big happening to the hook.......unless you are thinking of micro motors and mini cameras in the hook and you motor the hook into the carps mouth.....now there's an idea.

It seems to me that they all tend to be variations on a theme. I would be interested to know what Carp thinks. If you looked at it, how many basic rigs types are there?? At my stage (new to carp fishing) I am still struggling to know when and where to use the various rigs....

M

Michael Hall

I am luck I have got many people who will tell me what rigs to use and where to use them and with what baits but I think that its just a game of trial and error but when you get a rig that catch use it but eventually it will start to slow down when catching large fish but then you will have to find another one! But if only you could have a motors on our hooks (I wish)

C

Carp Angler

Circle hooks will be the next big thing.

The next rig article is in the pipeline but it's only about half finished at the moment.
(it should have been completed about 3 weeks ago but I've been fishing too much)

In it, I'm covering what rigs to use in given situations.

C

Craig W

Well im not sure about some of the weird and wonderful things on sale & believe me i have tried (& wasted money on) many of these 'rigs' in the early days of my carp fishing.
I now keep it simple with a length of lead core a safty lead, a very sharp hook(the most important bit) & very short hook link, I still catch & always the carp are hooked in exactly the same place every time.
Im sure some of the more wonderful rigs do pick up the fish and very well in given situations although i have had no greater resualts.

P

Philip Inzani

Craig, I think you are spot on about the sharp hook...amazing how many people overlook that bit.

What got me thinking is that point you make about the Carp being hooked in exactly the same place every time...and I guess you mean middle of the bottom lip...just about all of mine on bolt type rigs are hooked in the same place too. However I have to say that I actually think that this is a demonstration of how ineffective! our rigs in general are. IMO it means a certain set of circumstances have had to arisen for the hook to find that place. I dont think the often quoted turning of the hook with a line aligned or knotless attachment always works like that (how can a hook rotate on its axis as intended on a stiff Amnesia rig for example?) and we are relying on a great deal of luck every time a Carp picks up our hook bait.
I would be far happier if I was hooking them all over the place?.top lip, side of the mouth, anywhere in fact it would be a much better indication that the rig is getting them first time every time.

C

Craig w

Well phil my fish are always hooked in the corner (scissor) of the mouth ever time, as you know its a real tough spot on the mouth & i dont get ANY pull outs since ive been using this method, infact i somtimes have a bit of a tough job getting a barbless hook of of this part of the mouth it can get well in the tough bit but can br removed without any damage!
Are the fishing getting hooked first time? im not sure, often i get no indication of the fish around my bait, it just 'goes off'
I would love to put a camera down to see if the are 'mouthing' the bait first.
Have you tried a blow out rig? they are ment to stop those clever fish using the boilie as a lever to move the hook by sucking the bait it in & out?

P

Philip Inzani

Craig, I agree it would be great to get a camera down there!
About the blow out rig if the one you mean is the one with the tubing that is supposed to slide back as the bait is blown out by the fish then I have to say that is one if the rigs that I think is a bit flawed (I don't doubt it works just I don't think it works in the way it was always intended)
IMO the problem is that although it looks good on paper or in a tank at home out in the lake it will be messed up by any Bream/Tench Roach etc that decides to give it an exploratory tug or two moving the tubing back anyway.

I know from my own observations of fish around a rig (rare but great when you can watch them like that) is that I am definatly not hooking them first time..in fact judging by some of the things I have seen fish do I am amazed I catch anything at all when I cast out blind so to speak. Basically I have come to the conclusion that the word "Anti eject" is a load of cobblers!

M

Mark Pleasance

Fishing rigs like every other aspect of fishing now is simple! not to catch the fish but to catch the fisherman!!! you can catch fish on a rig that was used in the 60s and the same with bait.

C

Cakey

Mark...something I agree with you on at last.......................apart from the bait might be mouldy now !

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has long been thought or said that the fishing game is full of new ideas, baits, and inventions just waiting to come out.
Undoubtably the hair rig was the best thing to hit the fishing scene, and nothing has equalled it since.
My thoughts are also around the hook or hook area. You can garauntee that when something does turn up, it will be so simple, we will be wondering why it had'nt been thought of before.
I have been playing about with adjustable hair rigs this year as I like my bait tight to the hook. After variouse ways of doing it, I have gone back to the Jim Gibbinson's line aligner and adjustable hair.
We have lots of combinations to go at, and I am certain that if we make the right choice the best combination is already there. All we have to do now is find a way of fining it all down.

M

Mark Pleasance

Good point Cakey..... I was wondering why i was getting no bites! and the cheese was starting to smell abit :eek:)