need HELP with rig

Jeff Guidotti

Reaction score
i need help.....

i have all the carp rods pods alarms and the like... but the thing is i dont know what line to have on the reel and what goes after that i.e. leader etc. and what rig to set up i.e. zig..etc. can anyone help at all explaining from reel to hook what to do as im hearing so many different options which i know there is but just want the one rig for now to get carp on the bottom can you also add what type of weight to use thanks

C

Cakey

start with a 2oz semi fixed lead to a hooklength of super silk ,knotless knotted on a size 4 hook and a 14mm boilie

who is going to do the other 14 million possible combinations ?

J

jason fisher

what's the bottom like, is the lake weedy, what's water clarity like, is the lake snaggy. how big are the fish, how far out will you be fishing.
what are you using for freebies. what are you using for baits.

J

jason fisher

that should narrow down the choices a bit, to about 9 million at least.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
My best advice would be to start with magazines like total carp etc they will show you things like leaders rigs in a step by step guide get hold of the last few issues if you can. A very helpful begginers guide in them.

i will let you know what i would use when you have answered jasons questions.

F

Frothey

you forgot to tell him to put some line on the reel first cakey....

you might want to cast out as well ;)

C

Cakey

aint done that since 31st march but on the IOW next week after their 40

A

Aaron Mcilwaine

Hows it going mate,first things first 12 pound line is usually the norm,if your reel has a spare spool either put 15lb on it for snagy venues or a lighter line say 8lb min for winter fishing or float fishing.

As for rigs etc it is best to keep things simple,my usual set-up is a 2oz lead,free running, just thread it straight onto your main line or use lead clips if you want,followed by a buffer bead which will protect your mainline kot once you tie on your hook length.

Hook length materials- there are alot to choose from you can eith use mono or braid,most carpers use braid as it provides a better bait prenentation,I normally use a fast sinking braid in either 15 or 25lb breaking strain depending on the type of venue and swim I am fishing.

You can buy ready made carp rigs in most tackle shops although this is more expensive in the long run but would be fine just to get you started.

If you want to tie you own,get a piece of braid say bout 8-10 1nches long,tie a small loop on one end and thread the other through the back of the hook,holding the loop end start wipping the other end of the braid around the shank of the hook about half a douzen times an then thread it back through the eye of the hook,you then tie on a swivel using a grinner knot or a palmor not,palmor is easier, search the net if you do not know these knots,you then tie the other end of the swivel/hooklength to your main line,bait the hair rig and your ready to go.

One last thing make sure the clutch on your reel is not set too tight or loose, hope thi helps you out,let me know how you get on.

C

Cakey

dont let him know how you get on ..................................................................let us know !

F

Frothey

theres a few of them in there aint there?

let ME know how you get on...

F

Frothey

"What u mean don,t let him know,this guy has put an effort into his reply!"

he's using your pc ;)