Update on Polarised Glasses

J

Jeremy Airey

Hi chaps
Some of you may remember a thread last year about the merits of various different polarised glasses.
In the end it seemed to come down to whether my 'Lure Eyes' or Charlie Bettels Optilabs were better.
I must now a year or so on alter my opinon slightly and say that as the owner of a brand new pair of Optilabs I was blown away at the quality and clarity of the lenses. (The very things that impressed me about the lure eyes)
I must say that the pair of 'optis' I tried before must have been very dirty as the new pair are fantastic.
They are every bit as good as my 'Lure Eyes'.
I am in no way connected to Optilabs and therefore have no hidden motives in praising there product - in fact I am a ?104 well spent poorer.
regards
Jeremy

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Jeremy,
so would you say the optilabs are better than the lure eyes or equally as good? how much were the lure eyes and is it worth the ?100 for the optilabs in comparison?

M

mark williams 4

I, too, spend at least ?100 on polarisers - that's six pairs a year! Would be ?600 down the toilet if I bought Gucci ones like you boys. No, I'm strictly a Boots man. I hadb a fantastic pair of Polaroid XOOR a year or so ago. Those got trodden on.
I'm considering buying some polarising film, cutrting out little circles of it, and then tying two bits on to elastic and strapping the lot round my head. Cost nack all, can't be broken....

J

jason fisher

i bought some on the way to the press manor fish in just cheep jobs from the motorway service station because i couldn't find any of my others, when i got home i realised that id left them on the car roof and drove off, that's 3 pairs i've done that with in the last 2 years.

J

Jeremy Airey

Hello Chaps
Yes, Rodney, on first glances (groan) I would say that Lureyes and Optis are as good as each other. Only problem is that due to the present foul weather I haven't been able to give them a 'proper' side by side spotting test.
Yes they are well worth the asking price. Optis may well gain the edge as they are UK made and look pretty indestructable. However Lure Eyes have a no quibble lifetime warranty and a quick airmail turnaround so spares are no real prob. there either.
Over the years I've gone through so many pairs of 'cheapy' glasses you could pay a 3rd world countries debts on the proceeds.
One thing they all had in common was a headache at the end of the day caused by eyestrain due to optically imperfect lenses. I don't need prescription lenses for anything but reading yet but have learnt to 'mollycoddle' my eyes a bit as I'll be needing them for a bit yet.
Oh yeah don't forget the loop/mangle/strap to hang them round your neck - after all loosing a ?100+ pair of shades for the lack of a lousy ?5/10 strap is just not on and BTW get one with a 'float'(try Basspro or a yachty shop) on it so you can watch your shades float away if you drop them in the drink LOL.
regards
Jeremy

R

Rodney Wrestt

Mark,
I have a pair of Polaroid XOOR glasses from TJ Hughes for ?10 (had them a couple of seasons now), I find them as good as I've had and I'm a bit of a collector. All my sunglasses have polarised lenses and I have at least 6 pair on the go just now :eek:)

Thanks for that Jeremy, I don't think I could justify the outlay just now, maybe when I need a prescription lense but for now the low cost ones are good enough for me.