Carp Disease.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
There is something wrong with the carp in my local lake.
They have some sort of red rash/spots down their flanks etc.... and some seem to have the odd deeper sore. For some reason it seems to be affecting the mirrors more than the commons and i cant really tell if the crucians have it as well.
I had heard of something going on down there and actually witnessed it my self,this afternoon when a lad caught a 7lbs mirror...it wasn`t nice to see.
Word from the grapevine down there is that the chap who runs the lake is aware of the problem but no one seems to know if he is doing anything about it ???
Should i be a responsible fisherman and get in touch with the EA and the local council who lease him the lake or should i just mind my own business ???

blankmeister

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like KHV but might well be contagious and it ought to be investigated. Could you speak to the manager and if he's unwilling to do anything the EA should be notified.
Does he have a net dip?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Net dip....no .
I did pop into the onsite cafe to see if he was about but no joy. I should have took a video or pic of the affected fish i saw.
I will do my best to try and get something to put on site and i will keep my ear to the ground and see what progress.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i would definately contact the EA about this before it gets a chance to spread to other waters if it is contagious

Fred Blake

Reaction score
It would be best to notify the EA at once. It could be KHV or something totally harmless, but whatever it is, it needs investigating. If the owner/manager is reluctant to do it, someone else should. Ignoring the problem does no-one any favours.

Whether the notification and subsequent action would prevent an outbreak at other waters is a moot point. I am fairly certain that almost all waters carry these infections nowadays; it's too preposterous to suppose otherwise. We're all told time and again by the experts that wet nets and mats transfer disease - hence the proliferation of plastic dustbins full of muddy water (sorry, disinfectant) at many fisheries, but what about wet ducks? Do they not carry disease from lake to lake? I've certainly never seen one dip itself in the appropriate bin before leaving for a neighbouring water.

I reckon an outbreak of KHV is most likely to follow a particularly stressful event; prolonged hot, dry weather, a sudden cold snap in late spring, too many carp bundled into keepnets during a match, the introduction of fresh stock etc. Outbreaks are far more common at heavily-stocked waters, where the carp are already under stress. In such places it doesn't take much to tip them over the edge.