smart cast

A

Aaron Mcilwaine

Hi all,just wanted to know if any one has/used one of those smartcast systems,as I am thinking of buying one as it would be very useful for feature finding and spodding,all information would be most welcome?

J

jason fisher

it would be very useful for feature finding
yes they are!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aaron, their range is about 30yds I think. Best to check before buying.

The Hood

Reaction score
I have the rf10 hummingbird, it was a present from the wife last birthday. They are very useful indeed, they show depth in feet or metric, you can alter the fish finder to locate small or large fish, it is also a great guide for finding bottom features or contours. Baz is on the money for the range of up to 30 yards, but that only means you are stumped for distance readings. I use it on lakes and rivers all the time to just give assistance, used on an old telescopic rod with a spare reel it's great.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Five to six hours sleep each night does me fine. Life's too interesting and too short to fritter away in a state of semi hibernation.

The Hood

Reaction score
With my baby twins and another on the way, i'm at work all day for a rest.

Steve Hammatt

Reaction score
Be aware there's a new range that's come out in the last few months. These have a new remote sensor with new features.

This includes a display of the water temperature, and also a 4-level greyscale display rather than just black/white, which potentially can give you a lot more information about the structure of the bottom.

There's also a flashing night-light facility for the remote sensor now !

Anyway, shops might be selling off the older ones more cheaply if you want a bargain.

Don't get lumbered paying full price for an old-spec unit, though.

vortex

Reaction score
i have the rf35 and it really is good for finding depth layout on the bed. much much better than using a lead weight count down meothod. Not to mention you can see the rss float marking the position to cast. I agree however if long range casting is you thing dont get one these rss unites are only good for 30 yard mirror calm you get 40 but its a push. The only BIG minus is that the battery life on the wrist screen lasts a day and at a ?2 pounds a pop could cost a bit of money say on a 10 days fishing. but i would definitly recomment it.

M

mark wilson 3

anyone any ideas how to change the battery in the sonar device?
Im doing mod on it and would like to change the battery at the same time.
Is it on the underside of pcb?
So it would mean unsoldering the two large Prongs that go through to the underside/outside of the unit?

vortex

Reaction score
I have only had to change the wrist battery sorry. but all the other forums i have read sounds like its easy. and yes the battery is on the underside but i dont know about soldering for removal. let me know how you get on.

M

mark wilson 3

I was successful changing the battery and doing the modification but it took a while carefully unsoldering the wet switch pins.Very fiddly job to do and easy to damage pcb.This job isnt for folks of a nervous disposition.
Thanks for the advice cakey, and for posting the mod in the first place!
Mark