Fishing Complex

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My friend and I are seriously considering buying and developing a holiday fishing complex(challets/lodges)

It would mean two families selling-up and re-locating to another part of the country, who knows where?

I, we, would be very grateful of any comments; location, preferred accomodation and of course fishing requirements.

We visited Anglers Paradise last year and were impressed, Ziggy is awesome! So is his complex! But with access to so many anglers on FM, we would love to know what turns you on and off a fishing holiday.

Thanks guys

Steve

E

EC

Anglers mate!

I can't be doing with crowds, and don't like waters that are artificially stocked above capacity!

This will sound strange to some, but I'd rather blank on a large mere or river, than catch a shedload from a commercial type man made complex.

I would be interested in renting a cabin/lodge/caravan overlooking a large stillwater or a river, with safe parking and far fewer anglers present than swims available.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, you need to tell us what your aim is.

To provide fishing for holidaying anglers.

Or to provide some fishing for families on holiday, where part or all of the family can occasionally go off and do other things.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
I can't think of anything worse than going to Anglers Paradise!!!

Clikfire

Reaction score
Good weather is important to most holiday makers, so somewhere towards the south coast would be good. (Or france / spain / portugal, etc).

Close to beaches would help on the family front if thats your target market.

Or middle of nowhere with total seclusion if purely looking for the fishing persons alone or with friends.

Unfortunatly Steve you will never please everyone with what ever you go for, so do what makes you happiest / richest.

:)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Ideally it would have three or four lakes the main lake being specimens (carp, bream, cats) the others would vary, down to a begginers lake.

I think it would mainly cater for groups of anglers (3-4) per accomodation, also couples and possibly families, but that is why location is crucial.

I recently looked at a fishery in Bridgewater, Somerset. It was stunning! 25 acres of land, an 8 acre lake and a 1.25 acre lake. It had loads of potential for development and planning permission granted for accomodation. Unfortunely the owner had already built two scandinavian lodges costing ?75,000 each, superb quality, excellant accomodation. This meant we would have to build similar lodges, another five, to make the income viable and meet planning regs. We couldn't stretch to 1.1 million so that got ditched.

What I would love to know is, the location most people would like to go to, or, would be willing to travel to. Also, would static caravans be an acceptable form of accomodation? If so, they could be possitioned with stunning views of the lakes.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Static caravans are good for anglers but I don't think they should overlook the lakes, it's nice to look at the natural banks of a lake. The lakes shouldn't be less than 4 acres, swims about 20 metres apart with natural cover between and huge lily pads seperating the swims as well.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Smokedodger,

I thought you were going to give me grief, (previous post).

Good point about statics too close to the bank! Lily pads, features and island are my favourites too, good points mate, thanks.

I really appreciate the comments, as an angler, I want to know what turns us on about fishing! As you said, seperated swims! I agree.

We paid a lot of money to stay and fish at A.P, but I think we could make changes to make it more appealing. Ban radios on the bank! I had a big rare-up with two guys about that. No shouting, across the specimen lake. Fishing included in the price of the stay! Smokedodger, have you been there? (as you live close)

As an angler I would love to create a fishery, a haven, peaceful and tranquil, a perfect holiday. At the same time I could make a living from it and enjoy my work! and the quality of life for my family would be far greater than at present, sorry I'm going into sloppy mode, dreaming.

Thanks guys any more comments are very welcome.

Steve

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Steve, I think it has to be south somewhere, for the weather if nothing else. Small chalets rather than caravans, and somewhere for the residents to relax at night, have a pint etc., a restaurant with meals available, facilities are key to families on holiday. Meals are a great money spinner too but obviously hard work as well. Near enough to the coast so the wife and kids are kept happy and have their holiday as well.

The lakes need to be well away from these facilities for the peace needed to fish and have natural features, trees, bushes and the like. It must cater for as many types of angler as possible and have a reasonable head of fish without being easy.

If you get all that can I come please, when the kids have gone home.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Graham, all FM members will be more than welcome!

Thanks mate, I am taking note of all points made, no matter how small.

Steve

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Steve,
I fished AP when I first moved here about 11 years ago and wasn't that impressed mainly because of the size of the lakes (small) and state of the water and catching "golden tench and orfe" etc. I just wanted to catch some nice ordinary specimen tincas, go-er roach and rudd, crucians and maybe the odd big perch.
Most of the fish I caught were in a sorry state of health.
Do you want to run a fishery or a holiday business?
As you say it costs a lot of money to stay at AP and did you think it was really worth it??
Radios should be a no-go as well as the shouting across lakes!!
At the end of the day Ziggy's in it just to make money(which I know ain't a bad thing) so he can go off swanning round the world Big Game fishing.
Maybe I'm being a bit selfish but personally I would rather go somewhere just for the fishing and a comfotable static/cabin to crash out at night (good showers a must) and have a family holiday elsewhere with out any fishing.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Smokedodger, I agree, most of the lakes are small, good point, but the fish were in good condition (last year). I know what you mean about golden tench and orfe, although I caught around 160lb combined of both on the pole one day, I was well chuffed. On reflection when I got home, it was a good day, but it wasn't what I was after. Proper Tincas would have been far more rewarding.

Keep it coming guys and galls.

Steve

alan strickland

Reaction score
Tree lined estate type lake,trees must reach the water so they block your view of other anglers swims.
Stock of a few good carp,shoals of good sized bream,tench,rudd(no barbel).A few pike and perch.
Accomadation as said above not visable from bank.Also some sort of bunkhouse so single anglers and those on a budget would be accomadated.

Im off to Bury hill near Dorking soon and main reason of me driving down down from lancashire is to be able to fish from a punt like boat for the tench in what`s called the jungle(no bankside swims in an area of the lake thats been left to go wild and is a nature reserve so huge lilly pads and overhanging tree`s)
Maybe something along these lines on part of the lake?

F

Frothey

"built two scandinavian lodges costing ?75,000 each"

they must be massive, cos they cost about ?20k in kit form......windows, doors everything! i know someone thats done it already

you've got to decide who you're aiming at...the most lucrative are anglers bringing their families as the spouses will want somewhere nice to stay and will pay more for it, rather than anglers who will be happy with a garden shed!

look at what He's charging, and he's pretty much fully booked at least a year in advance....

Smokedodger

Reaction score
I think Stafford Moor has nearly got it right. No bar or restaurent on site,just lakes, lodges and nature with good walks all around the site. If you want a drink or a meal you go into the local village,that way everybody gets a share of the income.(Plus the local shops)
Andy (owner) will go out of his way to make sure you catch, be it specimen carp or a bagful of tench and crucians.