Consider this

Bluenose

Reaction score
The site will change again, someday, maybe for better, maybe for worse. Members, owners, editors, moderators will all come and go but if we're lucky the site and membership contributions will remain as a constant throughout any future change.

I understand why some people don't get 'all the fuss' currently, or how some think the leaving speeches are all a bit tedious. Those members just want to read about fishing, nowt wrong with that, it's why we all joined in the first place.

I also understand why several very valued members have left and no longer wish to post or contribute. I fully understand the emotional attachment that some, myself included, have to this site and all that this site has given them including a sense of community, lifelong friendships and many happy memories.

Now here's the point, those bridges that you burn now with other members, will probably remain burned for a very long time and the extent of those spats will ultimately decide the future ethos of the site. Whether it goes on as it has for the majority of the last 10 years, or whether it goes down the pan due to arguing and scrapping like one or 2 other sites.

Complaining about a resignation thread, or that someone else shouldn't comment because he's only got 10 posts is far far more devisive than moaning about a mod, owner or editor, because sure as eggs is eggs, mods, ed's and owners will all leave one day, but the fella's you are squabbling with will probably still be here in 10 years time and you'll still be arguing and settling old scores.

Accept 2 things:

1. The site and it's history means more to some than others.
2. Some people just want to log in to read fishing and nothing else.

Just consider what you post, agree to differ, pm if you feel 'the need' but most of all engage brain before hitting submit.

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
Good post Mr Bluenose and fair comment, I`d also like to add the community spirit bit which FM has always excelled in and seperated us from other sites. We need to get back to this. FM has never been just about fishing, its been a site of like minded anglers with a fishing and site community interested, a big happy family and largely a group of friends who always gave new members a big welcome, we need to find this again, which I`m sure with some effort we can do.

richiekelly

Reaction score
having been unable to log into the site as much as usual i dont know what all the fuss has been about,this is as far as i am concerned still the best fishing forum by far and one that i will continue to use for as long as it is here.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
If I had been a German in ww2 ,you would not have had the bridge to far film.Iwould have burned the lot before allies got near.
Sensible post from Bluenose as usual. Hes always right ya know , Iam listening loud and clear hope everyone else is.

Reaction score
Bouncing this to the top again. Generally a well behaved morning HOWEVER one or two posts with a little too much bile -particualarly in a case where issues had been resolved and things had moved on.

Please remember the points Bluenose has made, and I in a similar one on another thread.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

back up it goes -guess which moderator doesn't know how to stick a post permanently to the top?

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

back we go

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I can only agree with you EC. I come on here to talk fishing and to stay in touch with the friends I've made on here over the years. I won't get involved in the spats and I'll stick firmly to fishing subjects. The ill feeling recently has certainly resulted in me posting less than I normally would (hence the lack of posts on the blog as well).

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Ed has to be right.I do not really give much of a monkey's who is editing the site or who owns FM.Its merely a means to exchange ideas with fellow anglers many of whom I now consider friends and I am grateful for its continued presence.We who post set the tone and can dictate the character of the forums if we so choose.Lets rebuild the community spirit and those who have left will hopefully reconsider.

Reaction score
Good post Mr Bluenose and fair comment, I`d also like to add the community spirit bit which FM has always excelled in and seperated us from other sites. We need to get back to this. FM has never been just about fishing, its been a site of like minded anglers with a fishing and site community interested, a big happy family and largely a group of friends who always gave new members a big welcome, we need to find this again, which I`m sure with some effort we can do.

Spot on Mr. Monk,

Very impressed by your detective skills but sorry to hear about Trudi and the car bomb (really enjoying your series on Quest 2pm!)

As Eddie says...

For me, FM always was, is and will be about a 'sense of community, lifelong friendships and many happy memories (and of course future happy experiences).

As a community,

We need to agree to disagree sometimes, try not to post knee-jerk reactions, remember how differently we'd act if correspondance was face-to-face, offer good advice, enjoy a laugh, and maybe once in a while meet for a damn good fish...

All this 'fussin and fewdin' is a load of
230133849.jpg
441axe.jpg

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Ed has to be right.I do not really give much of a monkey's who is editing the site or who owns FM.Its merely a means to exchange ideas with fellow anglers many of whom I now consider friends and I am grateful for its continued presence.We who post set the tone and can dictate the character of the forums if we so choose.Lets rebuild the community spirit and those who have left will hopefully reconsider.

That's what I should have said, instead of trying comedy! :)

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Comedy, comedy, are you mad? Comedy on a really serious web site. No room for comedy here!
Just in case anyone has taken that seriously P-L-E-A-S-E DON'T.

A good thread which goes some way to explain just how much some think of the site.

gentle

Reaction score
I like what blue nose is saying a lot.

Its far to easy to assume that because there is a virtual community here that you can roughshod pepople beliefs and feelings. People leaving is always sad for some and a relief to others. Websites create an area where people without realising step outside of their normal social barriers. Its easy to type things you wouldnt even consider allowing to come out of your mouth if the person was in front of you. I have been a victim and perpetrator of this in the past and am very vigilant now about what I say and how I am perceived.

It is very much about us all having a little bit more emotional intelligence because forum abuse can be very painfull for those who are reading posts whether the comments are directed at us or not we still feel anger, pain, betrayal and outrage when we read a persons 'comment'.

Human nature seems to fail epically without deep consideration on what we type as opposed to what we really think.

I made some unsavoury comments on my first few posts and in hindsight had I been faced with the party I was talking about (Well known TV fishing presenter) im sure i wouldnt have been so vehement in my speech making.

I believe now that virtual comments are far more dangerous than the people making them. Please dont forget when your reading posts here that people vent human feelings in ways they wouldnt if you knew them personally.

If my post today changes the way one person posts in future or makes them think about leaving.... it was worthwhile. If it doesnt then maybe people will understand me better anyway.

Thats my thoughts anyway.